My Fire Escape Garden 2013

sdavie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yup, there are drainage holes. You can't see them well but theres tons of them. Pippa (the pug) isn't exactly a lap dog, she's too excitable right now at almost 7 months old.

sdavie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So we got some snow Monday night :( makes me so sad, and my lettuces are growing quickly so I'm going to have to re pot them soon into something bigger. Can't wait for proper spring around here, in other news, my spinach have sprouted as well! :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have a real good start. Heck, you can probably even take the lettuce and spinach outside for a short cool spell in the afternoon if the sun comes out to shine on them.

They are both tough to light frosts, but they should get hardened to it first. Taking a house started lettuce seedling and leaving it outside all night to freeze might well kill it, but giving it a taste of some like 33 degrees but in the sun for an hour can do it good. Each variety is different for cold tolerance or even cold wanting. I am finding that Freckles likes light frost if sprouted around october here. Just sets and lives, barely growing, but now nicely taking off.

Oh boy, you'll have real actual spinach! :)

sdavie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yup, I was thinking of doing that since my little poly tunnel is up. We should get a wee bit of sun later this week so I'll stick it out there for an hour or so if the tunnel has heated up enough.

sdavie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
tumblr_mjz5a6lkTM1qd1wkro1_500.jpg

My lettuces are hanging out in the greenhouse since it's so warm in there :D