My First TIGGER Melon

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I got my first "Tigger" melon the other day. These originated in the rugged mountains of Armenia and so are compact plants. The yellow fruits are about the size of a softball, with blazing red tiger stripes. They are well suited to dry environments or low water schemes.

While they are gorgeous to look at, they aren't so good, as melons go. The flesh is white and they have the flavor of a kinda sweet cucumber. They are firmer than the average cuke, but lack the juiciness and aromatic qualities of other melons.

In my esteem, melons should be a feast for the eye and the senses. They are the "candy" of the garden and should bowl you over with their appearance, aroma and sensuous taste. These only manage one out of three.

They would be awesome on a trellis and Ive heard they are better if grown that way. Their size and appearance would make them nice for greenhouse growing, too.

I think if I grow them again, it will be on a trellis in a spot of their own. This will give me a bit more control, as this season they were just one of many in the "melon patch". They got the same water and they may have cross-pollinated, for all I know. I would also carefully monitor the water to grow them "dry," as is part of their habitat of origin.

Anyway, they sure are pretty!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. I guess you could treat them more like a cucumber than a melon when it comes to use.

Sounds like they would grow well in my area.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am kind of disapointed there are no pictrures ..but I think I will try them because they sound so asthetically sweet to look at

thank you so much for the review and for sure I will trellis them

they sound really pretty!

see if they age and dry out nicely maybe?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Heres some pics of ripening Tiggers:

6252_dscf0102.jpg

6252_dscf0103.jpg

Even at this stage, they are striking. Ill get pics of them when they have ripened.

While I'm at it, here is a banana melon. This is an old heirloom variety, which supposedly traces its roots back to the 1800's:

6252_dscf0101.jpg

Sadly, Lori killed one of my cantalopes early. I had a few volunteers scattered around her flower pot garden, having no where else to put them. While watering tonight, she yanked one way early. The skin had netted, but the melon itslef was way too green and hard.
She says, "Dont fret so much. Just put it in the window - it will ripen..."
I simply said, "Uh, I doubt it. You plucked it too soon."

I hope she turns out to be right.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well i feel like a true beginner, that was not what i had in mind, im glad you posted a pic!
i pictured orange and black stripes .. like mickeys friend ..
go figure .. i would try it just cuz of its name ..

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
onedozenphyllises said:
Hmm...thanks for the info. I was going to try those out next year. How are the banana melons, by the way? I have some seed for those too, but have yet to try.

Chills - they (supposedly) end up looking like this when ripe:

http://rareseeds.com/images/catalog/OML107.jpg

I only say supposedly because I've never actually seen one in real life. :)
I dont know what the banana melons taste like as I havent had one ripen yet.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
davaroo said:
onedozenphyllises said:
Hmm...thanks for the info. I was going to try those out next year. How are the banana melons, by the way? I have some seed for those too, but have yet to try.

Chills - they (supposedly) end up looking like this when ripe:

http://rareseeds.com/images/catalog/OML107.jpg

I only say supposedly because I've never actually seen one in real life. :)
I dont know what the banana melons taste like as I havent had one ripen yet.
I grew them last year. They were good, but they ripened faster than I thought they would and some spoiled before I realized they were ripe.

Latest posts