My garden completely died

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Because of all the bees, wasps, and hornets, I was not able to go outside and water the plants. It was so dry because rain was so scarce and every last plant (other than the big giant weeds) died.

So now I have a plan. When it starts to get chilly and the bees go away, I'm going to go to town on the yard and dig up everything. Every weed and dead plant will be gone and there will be nothing left but dirt. I have a plan for next years garden. I want to grow sunflowers, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, and maybe some squash.

Is there anything you can grow in the fall and winter time? Not sure how mild the fall and winter will be this year. I know last year was really mild. Temperatures almost always above 30.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You can do several fall / winter plants. There are lots of "root" plants that will keep for a good amount of time in the cold. I have found it actually works better growing potatoes in the fall / winter because of those @*## potato bugs. Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, carrots, peas, there are several. If it is all dead (I would) pile it up and put a match to it. This will help get rid of some of those weed seeds. However you will loose the compost nutrition that the left over plants would put back.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So you can actually grow those plants during the fall and winter. Do they survive the cold temperatures well? What if it snows. If I can find it, I'll attach a picture of my yard as it was a while ago before everything died. The weeds are still alive though and we just got a huge rain (why didn't the rain come before everything died. ARg!)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There are a lot of those that will survive until a good hard freeze - not frost - hits your area. Then there are several that the tops will die back but the edible part lives on as long as it is covered up well enough.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, I should give something a try this fall then. If I were to plant something and have it survive till harvest time, when should I plant. I don't know when the first frost or freeze is.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is my garden before the weeds completely took over. Some of the weeds in this picture are now over 5 feet tall.

Yard001.jpg

Latest posts