My garden is...

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
half way dead. :(

The only survivors are a couple of watermelons, mush melons, tomatoes, okra and carrots. The cucumbers, green beans, broccolli, zucchini, butternut squash, bell peppers, corn, and herbs (even mint) are dead or dying.

I will have a soil analysis done to see what I need to work on. This was my first year to garden and the first itme anything has been done with this peice of ground. I'm not going to get discouraged, it's a good learning experience. This site has helped so much!! I look forward to starting more plants in August, hoepfully it will yeild a better harvest!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you got the right attitude that is for sure!!!

call your local cooperative extension as well and ask a master gardener ..talk to neighbors and see what they are doing

I am so sorry ..many hugs and please be sad but use this to take you to the next level!

a persistant and competitve nature make for a really wonderful gardener :) so get pissed and it is you against the elements now!

good luck

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:hugs

Dont be so hard on yourself...haven't y'all been in a drought? Record heat too I hear from my family members in Texas. My poor mother says the same thing about her garden. She tries to be positive and describes it as "dormant". She is 80 years old and has been watering twice a day non stop.

How hot do you have it? Mom says it has been around 97 with the heat index in the 100's.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm with ya, except mine died from too much water (I'm assuming you're in a drought?). I am replanting some stuff and chalking it up as a mistake to learn from! :)
If you haven't done it yet, write your thoughts down somewhere. I've found it's easier to "get it right" the next time around when you've documented your past mistakes. Of course if it's the soil, then you'll have that all written down for you and your extension should be abe to help!
Best of luck! :thumbsup

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It has been in the upper 90's except this week it's been in the 100-102 range with heat index above that. It hasn't rained in more than a month I think, they're calling for some rain earlier next week. :woot

I have been watering twice a day, but the sun is just blazing.

I have been keeping somewhat of a journal, I haven't been too diligent with it, but I wrote down the date of death and next year I will try to set things up a littel differently, with the more "fragile" plants, cucumber and broccolli in the shade. I'm excited to see what I need to improve as far as the soil goes.

Thanks for the pep-talk, I'm glad I found this site!!! :frow :tools

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bluesky I am soo sorry that you have had the disappointment. :hugs

I am with HiDelight in that you deffinantly have a Good Gardner Additude. All of what we do is a learning leason :watering I have myself learned alot the past year with our greenhouse. I have been gardening for over 35 years. :old So always learning. :clap
And Bonus it is also therapy for what ails ya (well for me any way) for others as well I'm sure.. :tools :weight :rainbow-sun

:happy_flower Karan :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
Bluesky I am soo sorry that you have had the disappointment. :hugs

I am with HiDelight in that you deffinantly have a Good Gardner Additude. All of what we do is a learning leason :watering I have myself learned alot the past year with our greenhouse. I have been gardening for over 35 years. :old So always learning. :clap
And Bonus it is also therapy for what ails ya (well for me any way) for others as well I'm sure.. :tools :weight :rainbow-sun

:happy_flower Karan :D
Totally agreed!!!

This is my first year with a garden too.... I'm keeping an online blog/journal of what I've been doing too. I've had to deal with a lot of mess ups.... but I have my fingers crossed next year goes better too. I think making mistakes is the BEST way for learning and it keeps your interest!!!