My "Garden"

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is my "garden". Its not much. Actually it needs a lot of work. We want to clear out all that grass and weeds and such and work the ground a little so we can plant stuff in the ground rather than in containers. My only problem is wasps, bees, and hornets. I'm very allergic and I don't have my Epipen anymore so either my fiance has to go out and do the gardening for me during the day, or I have to get up extremely eartly or do my gardening at night.

Yard001.jpg

And I officially have my first tomato!

Yard004.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks great and looks like it has lots of potential!

They sell fake wasps nests that you can hang up to ward them away. They are very territorial and if they see another nest they won't come near it. Also, I've found they don't seem to like our pepper spray we make. They are always buzzing around the corn and when I spray that they all disappear.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What about ground wasps and other bee-type insects? Also, part of the yard (the left grassy side) will possibly be devoted to a few chickens, so only the right grassy side will be made into my garden area. I've got a lot of work ahead of me. Do wasps and the like go away once the sun goes down? Or better question, when would you say it is safe to go outside and there be no threat of bees or wasps? I plan to go out tonight and start tearing out some of those grasses and weeds.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soybean, I'm sorry to involve myself in what's not my business, but if you are allergic to bees and their ilk, you need a new epi-pen, or equivalent, no matter what. I've had yellow jackets get in the house, and they are aggressive. 4 years ago I was stung in my home, and it was pretty horrible. (I am also allergic.)

Meanwhile, yes, the safest time is at night. Early morning comes in 2nd. However, last year, we had a yellow jacket flying around the porch at night. I've never seen that.

Do you know where nests are? I can help you with ground nests.

In case you ever need the knowledge, if a yellow jacket gets into the house, remove the light sources. If you turn off the lights, and there's a window, they will go to the window. If there's one bulb, they will go to it, on and off, but get more and more aggravated. I think because it's hot.

Again, I don't know why you no longer have an epi-pen, but please get another. We want you to have lots of happy gardening time. :coolsun

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I no longer have the epi-pen because both of them expired. I keep questioning my mother and grandmother on the correct steps to getting new ones but they keep saying "We'll get you one, don't worry about it." My health insurance is about to go away because I am no longer a full time student. As soon as I get insurance through work I can go get another. :)

I haven't seen any ground nests as I don't normally stay out long enough to look. Mostly they are buzzing around the weeds or around standing water in my yard. (the blue container) I have not seen any yellowjackets either but a few nights ago, my fiance killed a bee in the house. It was only feet from the couch I was sitting on. Talk about freaking out!

I will begin working on my yard tonight then. Should there be any problem with me digging in the yard and ground wasps at night?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soybean, if you haven't already you may want to check out a book called "Square Foot Gardening", it describes, in detail, how to maximize your small garden space. I have a big garden and I checked it out from the library....twice! :D

Latest posts