My hay bale vegetable bed and other pictures of my garden

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my hay bale bed so far.

5558_369.jpg

That is soaker hose spread all over it to keep it damp. It has rained so much lately we haven't really needed it. I wanted to get it planted this weekend but it may have to wait if it keeps raining.

My English peas have just about played out but they were very pretty and tasty.
5558_371.jpg

A close-up shot of the peas.

5558_379.jpg

I need to make so more of the tomatoes. They have grown like crazy the last couple of weeks with all the rain.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
this garden method is on my list of to do's ..
will you leave the hoses on top for watering the plants or is that just for soaking the straw first?
thanks for sharing

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is the first time I've done this so I don't have a lot of experience but my plan is to put green beans in one half and squash and bush cucumbers in the other side. I had a 12 x 4 frame built for a raised bed which I had not gotten filled. I figured this was a good way to fill it up. As the hay decomposes it will fill the bed. I'm figuring that will take about 3 years. As it goes, I will plant different things. Something I read said that the third year is good for potatoes. I'll take the soaker hose off the prepare it to plant but then put it back once we get it planted. That way it will be easier to keep it watered. After we get it planted I will post more pictures.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well thanks for sharing, a soaker hose really seems best to me .. i havent done enough research but i was thinking if i could plant melons and just let them fall over the side it would give them lots of room to trail .. and then the fruit wouldnt be in contact with dirt (oh and i was going to put it on my patio)
good thinking ahead too, im still trying to get that concept!
ive read lots about potatoes and straw, i really want to try that next year - i missed my window of opportunity this year.
thank you again the photos help for me to 'see' what to do ..

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
5558_img_0466.jpg

Here's one side of the hay bale garden planted with green bean seeds and lightly mulched with leaves. My helper and I got that done yesterday. I have a great new helper. He's a kid that lives a few blocks away. He is going into the 7th grade next year and is really interested in gardening. I hope puberty does not hit him hard and he keeps wanting to make a little money working in my yard.

Latest posts