my indoor garden

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Silly me, I thought I'd see what I can grow inside since there is snow on the ground outside.

I've planted Romaine lettuce, Basil, Parsley, a few cherry tomato seeds, and a few cucumber seeds.

I know it's crazy to see if I can grow tomato and cucumbers inside, but I just thought I'd try. I thought I'd put them in a big pot with a stake to see if they climb up it. Gotta get the seeds to sprout first :)

All of my seeds are under grow lights in my sunroom. Although, it's not much of a "sun" room here in Indiana!! :lol:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, it never hurts to try!!! Just trying to grow something will get you that much closer to spring! I am always tempted by those little hydroponic grow light gadgets that they are pushing. I so miss fresh basil from the garden. But, I am just too cheap to shell out the 100 bucks! So, the countdown to spring begins! Good luck with your experiment!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh honey if it is crazy to grow things indoors than sign me up for crazy too!

I think of a few things ..one light (sounds like you have that covered)...two circulation (a good fan is all you need) and containers ..protecting your floors and surfaces from water damage and mold would be the only problem

I am starting flower seeds and veggies next weekend for the early spring plant ..

I dont know about things like cucumbers you will have to tickle them with a swab maybe them to help form fruits ..if they bloom you can find the boy and then spread the pollen to the girl ..if nothing else you can grow the plants inside then move them out later when it warms up?

to me growing indoors keeps me happy and cheerful during the winter..I love haveing tons of plants inside ...plants feed your eyes, keep the air quality indoors very nice, feed your nose if fragrant (like forced bulbs) ..and feed your tummy as in anything you can get to grow in a pot

a few things I have had good success with and have mentioned on this board before

I have grown a few peppers inside but few is the key here like one or two per plant ..tomatoes I was going to try this year but never got around to it ..so I will just plant those in the house to get them ready for the garden ...

I had a Meyer lemon in the house for a long time until it died :(
citrus leaves are good for cooking even if you can not get fruit you can mince up lime leaves into any dish that calls for a lime flavor!

lemon grass ..easy to grow a big pot of this indoors from one stalk at a grocery store you just root it in water and plant it fills a pot quickly and you have a wonderful house plant along with a fragrent lemony grass to put in soups stews and curries

ginger ...an untreated sprouting root of ginger form the grocery store grows like crazy in a pot and makes a very pretty plant that you can dig a piece of when ever you need it! fresh ginger is a wonderful herb to have in the house

peanuts ..this is fun pretty and productive ..you just put a raw peanut in a small pot to start ..cover it with plastic until it sprouts ..transplant one time into a larger part ...keep moist but not soggy and grow in a sunny spot ..when it is done you pull the plant and have a pot of peanuts! fun if you have kids ...

I love taro root and have grown it as well as dasheen in a pot for goth the leaves and roots

micro greens grow very well and they are just a pretentious way of saying mixed greens you like cut small for salads

green onions grow in pots indoors as well

lettuce grows well indoors so does spinach ..there is a thread here about this under greenhouse in the basement

you can try anything you want indoors and if it works good for you if not what is the harm in trying? if you have a sunroom with grow lights I would just sit in there during the winter and let it help my brain feel better when the weather sucks!

good luck and happy indoor gardening ..please keep us posted on what you try! perhaps if you want to share photos of your set up would be nice!

I can not wait to start my babies I just have to gather up all my pots since order is not my strongest skill :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, HiD, what a fun idea with the peanut!! Gotta try that one! The lemongrass sounds good too. Does anyone really have any luck with basil indoors? I have grown it, but it never amounts to enough to actually use, without killing the poor plant....

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
YES YES basil grows very well indoors! so does cillantro and parsley and chives ..and mint and and and oregano ....any tender herb will do well in a pot just light and circulation

http://fun.familyeducation.com/environmental-education/plants/37185.html

this link tells the recipe for growing peanuts in a pot :) try it! if nothing else it is a very pretty plant!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really really want to grow peanuts in the garden not so much the house. I don't have any good windows with any good light.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny you should mention basil:

4989_december_basil.jpg

I always start basil indoors but have never done so in November!

It can go out in the greenhouse for a few hours on a sunny day but, otherwise, it goes behind the curtain in a south window. Too cold for "babies" in that south window after the sun goes down, tho'.

Here's wishing you the best of luck with your veggies there in Indiana, Mener6896.

Steve

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some plants I brought indoors in fall. So far they are still alive :D

Stevia
2 hot pepper plants
Basil
impatient

The impatient is even flowering :D

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Sign me up, too! Did some rearranging in MY basement yesterday. Last month I clean all of the outsides of the basement storm windows--there are 7 of them. So far, I have 4 totally cleaned--that includes the inside of the outside storm window, the outside of the inside window and the inside of the inside window. The reason? INDOOR planting!! This is the first year I've brought 6 giant geraniums inside, potted, to grow in front of a window all winter. Next week I'll assemble my new shelving unit. There are 4 shelves, and I have 4 hanging lights and 4 grow light bulbs. I will definitely try indoor lettuce and maybe, radishes. I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Latest posts