My indoor tomato...

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I went to the Philly flower show I purchased a tomato plant. I am sorry but I do not rememer the name and I tossed out the paper work. Didn't think it would really grow.

It is growing in my garden window and it has flowers on it that are about to bloom. I hope this is a pure strain so I can save the seeds.

I am going to try to get the name if it turns out the way they promise, so far so good.

It is cold tolerant can be planted now in zone 7 but I am keeping it inside to be sure.

Anyone know this plant? it is low and bushy and very hardy.
For us indoor dabblers I and very pleased, I will get the name if I have to go back to the show next year!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew cherry tomatoes indoors in grad school. In the window of my office, which since it was formerly my advisor's office before he jumped ship to another school had about five very large south and west-facing windows and was an EXCELLENT place for houseplants <smirk> <g>

It was frm a cutting of the plants I'd had in the garden over the summer. These were the "peruvian tomatoes" I've described in another thread.

The plant grew large and vigorous, although a bit more 'stretchy' than if it had been in the garden. It flowered really well and a number of the flowers set fruit (I have absolutely no recollection whether I hand-pollinated them or not, but certainly there were no bees in the office, although about a gazillion cockroaches). It set a considerable number of nice-looking bunches of bright red tomatoes.

They tasted like the cr*p you buy in the supermarket :p

Still, it was kinda nice to be able to pick tomatoes for a lunchtime salad by just swivelling around at my desk :)

Pat

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
MeanQueenNadine
Your main concern is going to be pollination
Tomatoes are self-pollinated; pollen from a flower pollinates the same flower. To accomplish pollination, pollen must be loosened from the anthers and dusted onto the stigma. Outdoors, wind assists in pollen dehiscence, but in the greenhouse, the flowers must be vibrated. Without vibration, poor fruit set, shape, and size could result
This is easy or you can use a q-tip like I usually do, I haven't had tomaotes in my house before but am aware of this need. I Pollinate my zucchinis all the time when I start loosing some, just to make sure they are fruitful.

a number of the flowers set fruit (I have absolutely no recollection whether I hand-pollinated them or not,
That is becaue you probably moved them somehow or a breeze blew from the air conditioner etc.
That must have been cool picking your own right in the house. That is what I am looking forward to, although I will probably move mine outide long before it gets hot then the breeze will take care of everything.

Thanks for your input.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
OCMG said:
When I went to the Philly flower show I purchased a tomato plant. I am sorry but I do not rememer the name and I tossed out the paper work. Didn't think it would really grow.

It is growing in my garden window and it has flowers on it that are about to bloom. I hope this is a pure strain so I can save the seeds.

I am going to try to get the name if it turns out the way they promise, so far so good.

It is cold tolerant can be planted now in zone 7 but I am keeping it inside to be sure.

Anyone know this plant? it is low and bushy and very hardy.
For us indoor dabblers I and very pleased, I will get the name if I have to go back to the show next year!
OCMG, this is just a guess ;). I've read about Red Robin surviving the winter even tho' planted outdoors in zone 8 or 9 or something. The gardener had the tomato on his patio close to the house where it never quite froze. While others were just thinking of setting out plants, he had ripe tomatoes!! It is often grown on window sills.

I gather from this info, that Red Robin is open pollinated so you'd be able to save the seeds from that one. Yours hasn't reached fruiting stage but click on the picture and maybe you can tell if this is the one. I've read that altho' it is a super dwarf, the plant will grow to modest ;) size in the open garden - maybe a foot or so.

Steve

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Steve,
but I don't think that is it, it is not a dwarf and I am pretty sure it has regular sized tomatoes not cherry. I am hoping it is open pollination so I can grow them indoors all winter under lights.

I might just call the Philly market and get a list of vendors so I can call and ask them.

My flowers are about to burst open, I thought I would buy this and have it die in a few days or I would have bought a few.
:th

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found out the name,
It is a Siberian tomato and Steve they small tomatoes, I have about 14 right now and they are doing great!

They are growing in my garden window and that gets lots of sun every day and I tend to it like it is the only plant I ever had :aww so I am making sure it does bear fruit so I can collect the seeds. It is an open pollinator so I can have more than one year round.

All my house plants have mealy bugs so I am going to give up after three years of fighting with them so I will have a veg garden of cold tolerant tomatoes and spinach and maybe some other stuff that likes it chilly by the window.

I am also going to experiment with cutting all the leaves off but three and see if that is really an option. I read about that, I ususally cut off many but not so aggressive.

:ep

Latest posts