my jade tree flowered!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful jade tree dandelion! I had one years ago that flowered for me a few times. The combination of cooler nights and cutting back on watering promotes flowering. I always left mine outside as long as possible before bringing it inside for the winter and since it was in a rather large pot I cut back on watering because it made it so heavy. I was just trying to get it through the winter still alive. Come to find out, that was exactly the right thing to do.

Jade trees dislike overwatering. If you start seeing leaves dropping off all wrinkled looking, cut back on the water. It also promotes rotting of the trunk and roots. They will benefit from a good spring pruning as well as they tend to get top heavy. Good luck! :)

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dandelion said:
Hello everyone :D I haven't posted very much, mostly I've just read to learn, but this was to exciting not to share. We've had jades since I can remember, and while I knew theoretically that they could flower, I'd never had any of mine do so. Until now! No idea what was different, and it's only this one out of like six plants. But it's lovely!

Here is a slightly out of focus picture of the plant for size reference. As you can see they are just starting to open.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6387_jade.jpg

And here is a close up of one of the flowers. They are so delicate and pretty :D
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6387_jade_flower.jpg
:thumbsup Awesome dandelion!

I've seen one blooming before too. They're beautiful. I couldn't believe it when I saw it! :ep I had to do a double-take and make sure it was really a jade plant. :lol:

The one I saw was in a greenhouse where I worked...it was the end of the season before they really turned the heat on, so it was dryness and cool nights (like bid said) that triggered blooming. I remember the blooms being fairly pink.....I wonder if there are jades that bloom in different colors...:hu

dandelion

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You can't really tell from the pictures, but mine are actually a pale pink. I was so amazed too! When I learned they could bloom I was so surprised, I couldn't imagine flowers sticking out of this thing. But they fit!

And the little amount of water they need is part of what makes them so great. Periodically I think, huh, we haven't watered the jades in a while. And then it's perfect timing :D

Latest posts