My latest Harvest...Virginia Gold

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is that legal to grow your tobacco?, not that i smoke just wondering if i had a few plants here i probably would be arrested ......... :lol:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Hi,

Yes it is perfectly legal. Now if you sell it later it might be considered against certain laws, but who is to know?

Would you like some seeds? I would be happy to share with you Greenthumb, for the flowers of course! I would never encourage anyone to start smoking tobacco, but if you did this is the way to go, the 'Big' tobacco companies manipulate the tobacco they sell for cigarettes and they also add terrible additives that are not good for you; whereas natural tobacco is not like that at all.

:thumbsup

Ron
Oh ok just wanted to know for sure. Oh yeah i would love some seeds for the flowers, i'll PM you.
Now, that i didnt know about cigarettes, i bet if people who smoked grew their own, it wouldn't be as bad as smoking store bought cigarettes.

Thanks for letting me know!! ;)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! My uncle used to work in a cigar factory. When he died, his kids cleared out something like 500 old wooden cigar boxes, cigar-rolling equipment, humidors, etc. from his garage. He couldn't fit his car in there from so much cigar-making stuff he had laying around. Neither he nor any living member of my family smoked, despite growing tobacco as a cash crop and my uncle's occupation, so the kids sold all that stuff.

When I was a little kid, all the farm children were allowed days off school to plant the tobacco fields in the spring. Each seedling has to be planted by hand, they don't do well direct-seeded. It's nasty, cold, muddy work typically done after a hard spring rain, and little 6-12 year old children plant acres and acres of it, following the plows, while their parents tow along carts full of seedlings. I'm sure now it's all done by migrant workers instead, but still a lousy job. Makes good money though. The pipe tobacco barns smell amazing in late summer.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I still like a well cured hand rolled cigar ..If I thought I was able to grow a box of tobacco and cure it roll it and smoke it one time in my ilfe as a well cured seriously thought out cigar ... can not lie ..it would be fun and shame on me!!!!

oh well :)

I know I am not the only one with guilty pleasures the odd fine cigar ..is ours...my husband sister mother and I always have smoked one when we are together

port and a cigar is a very girlie thing for us!!! (my husband just likes the port and cigar!!! he is not all that girlie!)

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage, glad you cleared the tomato-tobacco rumor up!! I had heard that smokers should not even handle your tomato plants in the garden, they could carry the disease on their hands..
I agree, the grow your own should be a lot safer than the treated ones from the big companies, I am a lifetime non smoker, but my son in law smokes and I want the best for him. Wonder if it would be easier to give up, than the commercial ones people get hooked on.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey Ron,

I read that tobacco growers sometimes suffer from nicotine poisoning. Do you have to be careful how you handle the plants or anything?

Latest posts