My mini orchard

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted my six 'trees' that came on saturday. They are more like twigs, as the branches have all been cut off and they were shipped dormant. So I really hope that all 6 trees take.

We have 2 Lodi Apple, 2 Red Johnathon Apple and 2 Early Golden Apricots.

My husband is bugging me to go to Home depot where they have peaches and pears, and add one of each of those as well. You can hear in his voice he has no faith these trees will grown, thrive and produce fruit in only a couple of years.

mini_orchard.jpg

Here are my husband's attempt at grapes. He's been babying this vine since I bought it for him. I'm so proud he's gotten into this gardening stuff.
grapes.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks great!, in a few years you'll have a nice array of fruits. What kinds of grapes are you growing? and are they for eating fresh or winemaking?

Good Job ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fresh bunch grapes for my husband and kid. They are reliance grapes, though I read I can make wine with them. So we'll see since I'm the only wine drinker around here. :D

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
7 short years ago, the grape vine on the right was a scrawny twig we bought at a Home Base on clearance. We named it "Audry".

The little vine on the left is 4 or 5 and we call it Seymore :D

1002754cp0.jpg

1002828nq5.jpg

1002831bv3.jpg

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
7 short years ago, the grape vine on the right was a scrawny twig we bought at a Home Base on clearance. We named it "Audry".

The little vine on the left is 4 or 5 and we call it Seymore :D

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5355/1002754cp0.jpg
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/3848/1002828nq5.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1158/1002831bv3.jpg
Oh, you are so cruel! We arn't planning on adding grapes and such till next year and then it will be a few years before we get any harvest! Oh can you see the green headed monster!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow... that's a lot of Grape!!!! LOL

I better not show hubby, he's already impatient. Telling him we're doing all this work for 3-4 years down the road is killing him.

I'll be planting the strawberries and some melons to calm his impulse for fruit this summer. Poor guy.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Audrey and Seymore - FEED ME, I'M HUNGRY!

:lol:

I am hoping we will get a better production out of our black grapes this year. I want to try the wine making if there is any left from jellies and such. We just added peaches, plums, blackberries, more apples, and a couple of nut varieties to the "orchard" this year. Already have apples and pears and 3 kinds of grapes.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We are getting 2 concord grapes this yr, mainly for juice & jam. We already planted a lemon, grapefruit & fuji apple. Getting a peach & granny smith apple trees too. That will be the extent of this yrs expansion in that department(strawberries too) along with expanding the garden. To add to our 2 valencia orange trees.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I planted my six 'trees' that came on saturday. They are more like twigs, as the branches have all been cut off and they were shipped dormant. So I really hope that all 6 trees take.

We have 2 Lodi Apple, 2 Red Johnathon Apple and 2 Early Golden Apricots.
I planted my twigs this year too.. and they are growing .. each and every one.. 2 peach and 3 apple.. I also bought a fig..

I have planted mine about the same distance apart that you have..

I am so glad I am not the only one that did that.. except.. I dont really know if they are dwarf trees.. I am guessing not because I only paid $5 a piece for them.. I also planted my grape this year too.. I planted two of them.. in the space you did.. one on each end.. they are growing too.. one better than the other.. the stupid dog pulled one out of the ground I found it within the hour but the main part that was growing at the top died.. and it is still growing near the bottom..

VFEM.. we will both be enjoying the fruits of our labor at the same time LOL

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
mmm.... fruit!

Did you get them from the Arborday.org group too?

I have my fingers crossed they do well. So far my grapes are still dormant.

Good thing I tie the dog up by the deck and not by the trees. Stupid mutt digs up enough my lawn and other plants as is. Grrrr :he

Latest posts