My necessary new potato patch (pix)... Harvest update

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm with you... cram in all you can and get what you can. You'll land will support no more then it can... and it looks pretty supportive of your efforts! :lol:

I do think you are going to have an amazing potato harvest, and I'm sure proud of you. I do know how you feel though, hate it when the husband out wits ya on an idea!!! :he

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great looking potato crop Thistle, even for Idaho. As for your husband being right about some stuff just tell him what my wife tells me, (even a broken clock is right twice a day)! Nice looking chicken setup.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
But, it always seems like plenty of room in the spring!!!
LOL, it is a mystery to me too, how that always seems to happen. I read the spacing recommendations on the package and everything! Never fails....

Hey, thistlebloom, you could dehydrate some of them too. Really good how-to video here. I know I have trouble finding a suitable place to store mine and they usually wrinkle up/sprout on me, so I think I'll be doing some dehydrated and can some too this year.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
But, it always seems like plenty of room in the spring!!! Getting through my garden, is like traveling a maze right about now...:lol: Have you ever considered canning your potatoes? We used our pressure canner last year- and they really turned out delicious. No worry about root cellars, or rotting potatoes.
We're considering canning a lot of our potatoes this year, if the root cellar isn't complete (hubby is building me one). Can you tell me how you did it? Sliced, diced, quarts, pints etc? I've been curious if they turn out mushy at all. I'd love freshly canned, ready to heat potatoes for those mornings when I want quick fried potatoes, or evenings when I want a quick side dish.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Hey, thistlebloom, you could dehydrate some of them too. Really good how-to video here. I know I have trouble finding a suitable place to store mine and they usually wrinkle up/sprout on me, so I think I'll be doing some dehydrated and can some too this year.
Drying them would be great but I don't know how I'd do potatoes w/o a dehydrator... we have an electric stove that only goes down to 170*.
I did watch the video, didn't know you could dry frozen foods.

We eat a lot of potatoes, nearly every day, so we use them up fast. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally harvested the last batch of potatoes in the patch on Sept. 19. These were the Maris Pipers that grew much longer than the Yukon Golds and the Durangos.
They probably could have stayed in the ground a bit longer as all the vines hadn't completely died but I grew impatient! :)

The tree container is holding 66 pounds of MPs. Earlier I had pulled up some plants to share with my brother and parents when we visited in August. That batch was 18 pounds worth.

So here's how this years harvest stacked up:

Pounds Planted: Pounds Harvested:

Yukon Gold : 10 YG: 102
Maris Piper: 5 MP: 84
Durango : 2 D : 11

A total of 197 pounds harvested for 17 pounds planted. That's better than the 10 lbs. of harvest per lb. planted that I was hoping for.
I'm pretty chuffed with outcome of the new location. The last years harvest was discouraging, but this year was so pleasing that next year I'm hoping to best the 11.58 lb. increase I got.

The Durangos had a pretty poor showing, but the Maris Piper did great! I think I may have a new favorite.

I have a brand new never planted bed to grow in again next year. Hired a neighbor to brush and till a new section with his tractor this summer. It will need a lot of work because it's pretty rough but if I can carve out the time...( like instead of sitting at the computer! )

Maris Piper

marispiperpotatoes002.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quite a successful adventure with Marris Piper, Thistle'!!

It is wonderful when things work out even better than we have hoped.

Congratulations. (Now, I hope you had someone help you move that container . . . )

Steve

Latest posts