my new cud chewing beauty queen

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eva has a nice face and it looks Jersey to me. I'm sure you know, if you choose, you can milk once a day. Just wondering, do you have a milking machine, or if are you're going to hand milk.

A Jersey male friend would be great, when she's ready.

Are the other two, your now, or just visiting?

Yes, Eva is 1/2 jersey. I'm hoping to be able to milk OAD and share with her calf. Like most folks, I'm going to give hand milking a try... we'll see how long before I'm putting a machine on the credit card - LOL.
This time around I'm breeding her with an angus bull for a 3/4angus calf. Male will eventually go to 'freezer camp' and female will be sold... probably to the owner of my visitors.
These girls will head home at some point. This is a good test run to see how my pastures hold up. And for me to learn how to manage more than just one little 'pocket cow'. I'm already facing a bit of a challenge. Jeff feeds his girls POUNDS of pellets every day. Eva has been raised on grass/hay with just a treat of grain to keep her in the routine of coming to the stanchion every evening. I've got to figure out how to get them separated long enough for everyone to get what they're supposed to and to NOT get what they're not.
I think that tonight's project is going to be cleaning out the spare stall and seeing if I can get them to come inside. Three cows, three stalls.... easy peasy right?
:fl

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Eva look a lovely girl. Our girls choose to hand milk also, even though I've put together a milking machine.

last freshening, the girls milked once per day.

I'm sure you'll choose a smaller bull, for easy calving. One girl we sold, she was herself smaller, had to deliver by C section, at her new home, because the calf was too large.

Eva is lucky to have you, this will be quite an adventure for you two, it's work, but the reward can be more than well worth it.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cud Chewing Beauty QueenS update:
(and I have no idea why all the picts are sideways..)

I spent the WHOLE day Sat repairing the fences in part of the back pasture so that the girls could get back there where the grass is taller.
20160312_160525.jpg

Then I collapsed and just sat in the grass for a while - lol
20160312_155005.jpg

I've shown pictures of Maddie (the oldest of my 'campers') and the consensus is that she is definitely preggers.
3.12.16b.jpg 3.12.16d.jpg

The 'polishing' isn't going to well so far. Maddie and 'the one who must be named' have finally admitted that coming into the barn isn't going to cause them to drop over dead. But, I still can't get my hands - or a halter - on them.

Eva, though, is LOVING the fact that I'm down at the barn trying to win THEM over all the time because that means that she is getting lots more scratches and treats.
20160312_154847.jpg

Attachments

• 20160312_160525.jpg
    20160312_160525.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 241

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eva is one lucky cow to belong to you. She is a pretty girl and knows she is loved. I can't wait for you to start milking!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope, can't use Marigold, that is the name of my tractor. I do like Milkweed, Steve you are a genius. Canesisters, what do you think of the name Milkweed? Ya' gotta admit it has that "ring" to it, what a name for a cow!

Latest posts