My new mantra

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Teaching a toddler to garden good *ohmmmm*

I had my 22 month old outside in the veggie garden and taught him how to place pea seeds in the ground. He loved it, but it was painstakingly slow. I also can't wait to see where else peas will grow in the garden. :lol: I know it takes time to teach them things, and I hope this helps him to grow a love of gardening like his daddy and I have.

Just wanted to share and vent a little. :D thanks for listening.

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That is too cute... and I bet you're right, there will be peas popping up all over the place! Now you just need to get him a little hoe to help out even more! :)

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
He got his own little shovel and rake for the garden for Easter which he loves to use just like us. He also drags a full sized broom around the garden with him since the full sized spade is to heavy. It is the first "tool" he goes for when we go outside to garden. :gig I will have to take pictures tomorrow since hubby will be home to help out.

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Aww... breakin' him in the right way! :) If you had a couple more just like him, you wouldn't have to work at all! Just be the overseer of work! :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When mine were little, we went through all the stages of them learning about gardening, and they are truly some of my most precious memories, as I'm sure these will be for you, too! :)

Also, take lots of pictures. I've got some of our son when he was about 6, wearing his gardening clothes. One is of him looking up at a giant sunflower, another shows him squatting down and concentrating on his plants, and still another is of him with his harvest. I'd not trade them for money! :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My now-almost-4-yr-old likes the 'moving dirt around' aspect of gardening the best :p He has his own little shovel (the small, green-painted metal one that Lee Valley sells as a transplanting shovel - it is the only kid sized shovel I know of that is actually USABLE, I highly recommend it), and watering can, and a trowel that I often borrow because it is better than my own trowel :)

When he was 2, he cried and cried and cried when the tulips in front of the livingroom window started dropping their petals. He was so sad. It was really cute. Now, when he sees flowers that are 'over', he usually makes a point of telling me that it's ok because they'll be back next year.

I have a lot of trouble trying to plant seeds with him, though. Maybe this year we will both do better, but I just have trouble dealing with taking 5 minutes to plant a single bean seed and then putting it sort of 'wherever' instead of in the bean row. Sigh.

I am thinking maybe bulbs would be something he can plant himself, this fall. He was on a daffodil kick this spring, so I promised him he can pick some out from a catalog to plant as his very own this fall. I hope I don't regret this <g>

Pat

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey Pat, can you get some glad bulbs for him to plant and they will be up this year?? He would be thrilled if you don't mind some glads?? LOL I have no problem mixing some veggies in with my flowers, it will be ok. LOL He sounds so sweet.

Latest posts