My (non)Dogwood Tree LEAVES (NOW WITH NEW PICTURES)

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beefy said:
did you start out with trees in texas?
no, but i just re-did it, choosing Texas, and i got the same result. not sure why. i chose zone 8 and got a tree than only grows in .... well, i have no idea what zone that is......negative 3?

it's certainly possible that i'm doing it wrong, but i think i picked everything i was supposed to. :hu

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great tree ID link beefy... thanks for sharing that!

Punkinpeep... if you are fairly certain of the species, try doing a search of the species... Alder.
Usually many types will grow in different areas, and not all listed on every site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder

Here's another tree ID key to try : http://www.oplin.org/tree/leaf/byleaf.html

With the details I can make out from your pics I get possibly an Elm? A bit hard to see the leaf edge details ...but I like guessing...:cool:
...................... :pop

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
O.k. here are slightly better pictures.

This is the whole tree (one of them). Sorry about the light on it. My battery died before i could get a good picture of the bark.
6396_s6304196.jpg

Here you can kind of see how the branches grow.
6396_s6304197.jpg

And here's a close-up of the leaves.
6396_s6304199.jpg

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lavender,

thanks for the link! That is actually the one that led me to American Hornbeam.

On these leaves - as far as following the leaf keys - i can't decide whether i should classify the leaf as double-toothed.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I remember when I lived in Dallas many years ago, I took a drive to Texarkana, TX, and I was so impressed with the Dogwoods and the Texas Redbuds mixed along the highway.

Since I am not from that region, and I only visited for such a short time, I can only compare it to my own trees and experiences. I do not see Dogwood at all but rather an Elm!

Here is a pic of the Russian Elm:
russian_elm_2.jpg

Here is a drawing of the American Elm
45324_elm_leaf_lg.gif

This is only a guess!

Ron

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is probably what i should have done yesterday. I pulled a piece of a branch off and put it on my scanner.

As you probably see more clearly now, i can definitely rule out the elm thanks to your lovely pictures, Greensage.

Reason being, your elm leaves are clearly not symmetrical and the leaf base, and mine are. Also your elm leaves look uniformly much more broad to me. They are very similar, and i have considered the elm several times.

See if this new picture helps. I put a ruler in there so you can see the dimensions too.
6396_myster_plantjpeg.jpg

Latest posts