My (non)Dogwood Tree LEAVES (NOW WITH NEW PICTURES)

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
when i do the key i only get 3 hits:

river birch (which it definitely is NOT)
Hornbeam
Hophornbeam

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beefy said:
when i do the key i only get 3 hits:

river birch (which it definitely is NOT)
Hornbeam
Hophornbeam
O.k. now, i guess i have to go analyze the bark. It stinks that i can't take pictures of it! Whoever heard of a hornbeam! :) Not me, i guess.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, i guess i will conclude it is an Eastern Hophornbeam. The branches are grey and really smooth, but trunk is super shaggy, which i think is my way of saying this

Bark of the trunk of this tree is light brown in color. It is fractured into narrow scales, which are loose at their ends. This gives the trunk a shredded look.
which is what the description on oplin.org says.

Thanks for your help! Too bad it's not an elm. It would be cooler to have elms. ;)

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beefy said:
Thanks for those.

I was leaning toward the hornbeam earlier because its description of where it grows is like describing my land. However, the bark is striking, and these trees' trunks are NOTHING like the hornbeam. So, Eastern Hophornbeam it is!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I vote that you go out and get yourself a Dogwood instead!

Ron :weee

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
I vote that you go out and get yourself a Dogwood instead!

Ron :weee
Good news! I have several actual dogwoods. I simply hadn't learned to distinguish between the dogwoods and these. :happy_flower

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got batteries in my camera today, and i thought, for the sake of knowledge and posterity, i would post pictures of the difference between the trunk bark of the Eastern Hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) the American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana), so far as my amateur newbie plant-loving self can decipher, but i'm pretty sure i've got it.

The leaves as far i can tell - see the pictures previous - are indistinguishable, but it's the bark of the trunk (and not so much the branches) that tells the tale.

The hophornbeam's trunk bark is described as 'shaggy.'
S6304255.JPG

The hornbeam's trunk bark is described as 'muscley,' (which is not a word but is meant to describe what looks like it contains muscles).
S6304259.JPG

So there you have it.

Shaggy and muscley.

Latest posts