My passion flower vine, tips for winter please.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This:
is what my friend grows.
It says hardy to Central IL, zone 6, so maybe you are just too cold for it, but I don't think so.
AlTHOUGH, location next to your house might help it survive if you replant this year. I have a blue salvia that I swore wouldn't survive. It is 6 ft from the foundation, East side of the house, so the house protects it from the fiercest winter winds and it comes back every year. Right now it has begun flowering. It also needs Full Sun.
I would try again.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
This:
is what my friend grows.
It says hardy to Central IL, zone 6, so maybe you are just too cold for it, but I don't think so.
AlTHOUGH, location next to your house might help it survive if you replant this year. I have a blue salvia that I swore wouldn't survive. It is 6 ft from the foundation, East side of the house, so the house protects it from the fiercest winter winds and it comes back every year. Right now it has begun flowering. It also needs Full Sun.
I would try again.
We are zone 5 or 4 depending on map. So more than likely I won't find one hardy enough. And not planted near foundation. :(

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've noticed a difference in hydrangeas and roses planted on a north facing wall versus south facing. Not just in survival but in timing of when they grow and bloom. Protection from wind is probably a part but I think reflected heat is a bigger part. They bloom earlier on the south facing wall but are more likely to dry out or cook in the heat of summer. I also think that mulching and watering plays a big part in survival.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone gave me a passion flower vine a couple years ago. It grew and flowered and fruited that first year. I mulched it for the winter... and got zilch the next summer. I left the spot empty - only because I didn't have anything to fill with. Did NOTHING over this past winter and guess what is about 8" high with multiple vines this year?
:hu go figure

Latest posts