My poor horse

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I have a friend that stands 6'2" that has 5 kids and they live on a 10 acre ranch and have 2 well broke and trail wise ponies for the kids that ride them daily each spring, summer, and fall. BUT... he has to break these 2 ponies to the saddle EVERY spring after having Jan. and Feb. off because the the kids are in school, it's rainy season so the fields , trails and arena are too wet . He has kissed the earth often and sore back on his rodeo events for 2 weeks each year before the ponies are once again broke to ride. When we purchased our 1st acre on the edge of town, the seller left 3 ponies on the land. We had 3 little kids so we thaught that the ponies would be great. Long story short, we ended up donating them to the University for research as those @#%^&* ponies were hell bent to NOT be broke to ride. Much better to get a short horse such as a 14.3h Arabian gelding.:old
I have heard that ponies can be bad. I guess I want an old small horse. Even a school horse has been ridden every day all day long-not necessarily quiet at a home. I have had good luck finding horses-except for my first one. It had 4 legs so I bought it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ponies are given a bad name because they are usually ridden by kids who don't know better. And adults that "train" them and have no idea how to school a horse.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My best friend when I was in 4,5 and 6th grade had grandparents that had 400 acres outside of Huntsville, Tx. They also had a herd of wild ponies. We would somehow manage to capture one or two and hand craft bridles out of hay twine. We also made hay twine harnesses and hitched those ponies to cardboard, a car seat, or a trash can lid. The ponies would take off while we clung to our makeshift "ride". We'd get dumped, chase them down and do it all over again. How we didn't break our fool necks, I'll never know, but gosh we sure had FUN!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My best friend when I was in 4,5 and 6th grade had grandparents that had 400 acres outside of Huntsville, Tx. They also had a herd of wild ponies. We would somehow manage to capture one or two and hand craft bridles out of hay twine. We also made hay twine harnesses and hitched those ponies to cardboard, a car seat, or a trash can lid. The ponies would take off while we clung to our makeshift "ride". We'd get dumped, chase them down and do it all over again. How we didn't break our fool necks, I'll never know, but gosh we sure had FUN!

Fun! Kids and horses = crazy stunts.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
What hurts more getting kicked or getting bit by a horse.
Oh kicked I'm sure. Never been kicked-it can be deadly. I have a kid that comes to weed. Her Dad's cousin was kicked in the throat and killed. It happens but not often. Basic safety rules would have prevented that. My horses have never kicked but I treat them as if they could at any moment.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
What hurts more getting kicked or getting bit by a horse.
About 30 years ago, I broke up a stallion fight ... there was a 6 ft steel fence between them. One stallion had a death grip on the other's throat and I jumped in and hit the first stallion repeatedly on his eyes with my fist untill he let go. Second stallion droped to the ground. Meanwhile , the first stallion grabed me by my right shoulder and shook me for what seamed like a lifetime then let go and I fell onto the 2nd stallion that was laying on the ground gasping for air. We both finally got up and I took him to a stall before I whent to the hospital emergency for treatment. Man that H U R T ... like seeing every star in the universe. About 8 years ago, I was worming a weanling filly and when I finished, she wheeled around and kicked me on my L wrist, breaking every bone in my hand. Man that H U R T like seeing every star in the universe. Orthopedist surgeon installed 4 stainless steel pins through the bones and put on an external fixator through my arm bone to hold every bone in place. When it all healed, the orthopedic surgeon used pliers to pull out the stainless steel pins out without any painkillers... NOW THAT H U R T ... like seeing evey star in the universe ... 4 times over , one for each stainless steel pin. ! My vote goes to the orthopedic surgeon's removeal of those @#%^&*()_+ stainless steel pins without any pain killers. :barnie

Latest posts