My Prickely Pear Cactus is finally Growing like crazy (pics)

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The Lady down the street gave me a trashbag full of prickly pear cactus nearly a year ago. there finally taking off. How do they look :watering

This is one of three huge pots. I have two outside bye the chicken coop and one huge in my bedroom (keep my brother and sister out :lol: )
6508_100_3777.jpg

6508_100_3776.jpg

6508_100_3778.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! thats pretty cool ;) They look great i bet they'll look even better when they flower and get the fruit.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a vegetable around here. Napolitos are chunks of prickly pear pads and used in soups and stews.
Love those prickly pears but I invariable get one of those darn hair spines in my lip. They make great jelly though.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... those things make me all stand offish! LOL

If you can eat them... go for it... you're doing a great job growing them for sure. ;)

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone. I am excited to see how the fruit tastes once its established :weee

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your OP made me hungry so I had some nopolitos with scrambled eggs this morning.
RECIPE: Parboil nopolito chunks in salted water just till the bright green turns olive, or use canned. drain. In a wok or skillet briefly saute chopped garlic clove in oil. Add a couple of tablespoons of your favorite salsa and continue to saute. Add two eggs and scramble all together. When done, roll in a corn tortilla. Enjoy.

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Your OP made me hungry so I had some nopolitos with scrambled eggs this morning.
RECIPE: Parboil nopolito chunks in salted water just till the bright green turns olive, or use canned. drain. In a wok or skillet briefly saute chopped garlic clove in oil. Add a couple of tablespoons of your favorite salsa and continue to saute. Add two eggs and scramble all together. When done, roll in a corn tortilla. Enjoy.
:drool yummmmm!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is hard for me to believe- but here in zone 4, you can grow prickely pear cactus outside, all year round! I stopped to see a friend's garden and he had a large patch of it. Said it bloomed every year... Yours looks great!

Latest posts