My pullets laid their first eggs!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:ya I feel a little silly getting so excited about something that chickens do every day but even when I'm expecting it, I still get excited over the eggs my girls leave in the nest box.
Two days ago, my Wee Little Tiny Micro Mini Banty laid her first egg.( yeah... that's a real breed name ;) ) I was so delighted with the tiny thing! She's the first of the group of 4 pullets to lay (shoulda been 8, but 4 were cockerels :/ ). This is especially sweet because she's a real pet. She loves to be picked up
and she'll take a nap in my lap when I sit with the girls. I carried it in proudly and considered framing it. I discarded that notion as awkward and ate it instead :) .
Then, yesterday evening I found that two more of the pullets had laid they're first eggs, it was as exciting as watching your kid graduate high school!
If your not getting what's so thrilling with all this, you're in good company, my family looks at me like I just sprouted an eyeball on my forehead.
Anyway, the two "normal" sized pullet eggs became DH's breakfast.... and you'll never guess what...!!!
Yeah! They were both double yolked!
My husband just grunted and wouldn't run into the kitchen to look,... what's wrong with that man? I thought it was a stupendous achievement to not only lay your first egg, but to make it a double yolker too! They are obviously involved in some kind of contest which is fine with me!

Well, I just thought I'd share the excitement with you all, you can pretend to be impressed and I'll never know, even if you're rolling your eyes right now...:)

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not silly at all thistlebloom! That first egg is always special, especially considering how long it seems to take- to us-the chicken is on her own schedule. And 2 double yolkers! wow! Those are always a nice surprise. Never had a hen lay double yolkers as her first egg.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistle, you are so CUTE! Yeah I would get excited, too! Silly husband. ;) doesn't know what he is missing.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
To hear my chickens squawk- you would think a chicken never laid an egg before!! There is nothing better than a first egg! If I get any cute teeny tiny ones, I keep them for display in a birds nest... Eggs are one of my favorite things!! Enjoy!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like you're in good "get excited about pullet eggs" company here, Thistlebloom! That egg must have been really teeny tiny!! I've got about 12 pullets that are all starting to lay and I run out there every day all excited to see what the nesting boxes hold. Unfortunately, all of my mature hens and now the pullets want to lay in one nesting box. I've got 7 set up for them, but apparently only one of them is right and they all squawk and fight and push each other and crowd in. . . it's a wonder I get any unbroken eggs at all!!! Silly girls! Oh, and my family calls me the crazy chicken lady. They just don't get it!! :weee

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Heh. Speaking of tiny eggs, my MIL is a little wacky, like ya'll (hehe!) and she has chinese button quail. The BIRDS fit in the palm of your hand, so you can imagine how teeny the eggs are. She made DEVILED EGGS with them!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be an interesting snack! If I went to all that effort everybody could have one. Only one.
And wacky? I said silly, I think it was Lori that confessed she was the "crazy" chicken lady!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh, come on. Just admit it. I mean, isnt that the first step? "hello. My name is thistlebloom. I'm wacky. I have a chicken addiction."

Latest posts