My rabbit cage bit me

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm building the first of three cages to raise some meat rabbits. I had three 1X8 boards cleated together for the back wall and propped them in place to see how they fit. When i turned to pick up a tool they whole thing fell over and the edge scraped right down my arm. It tore the hide in a couple of places and my whole forearm looks as though someone has been pounding on it. OUCH!!
Don't look if you're squeamish.

6858_ouch.jpg

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like it might be painful. Make sure you clean it out good , or get to the docs. Ouch is an understatement!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that looks nasty and painful! Make sure you take care of that... I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures in rabbit raising.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks quite painful hoodat, I hope that heals quickly for you.

I have a cousin in North Carolina that has rabbits coming out of his ears, so to speak. At least 200, their everywhere!! :lol: I couldn't believe my eyes when I went to visit him a few months ago. But that's what happens with rabbits they can't stop multiplying.

Good Luck in your raising rabbits!! ;)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Oh Hoodat, be careful! That's what I tell my kids all the time. :) How many rabbits do you plan on having?

Mary
I'm only planning on two does and a buck. That should give me all I want to eat and a few to sell. I still haven't made up my mind on a breed. New Zealands and Californians are the obvious choices but the little Floridas may also be good since I don't need large rabbits. I hear they are calm natured and need less area. Rex is another possibility. They were originally a meat rabbit before they became popular as pets. They'd probably be easier to sell my surplus as pets. There are all sorts of restrictions on selling them as meat.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Hoodat...you have certainly educated me. I was never raised with animals and didn't know rabbits were does and bucks. Oh, the things I learn on this gardening forum. ;) I love this site!

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's looking better already. Most of the bruise is gone and the gashes aren't any more tender than you'd expect at this stage. I doubt it will give me any trouble.