My rabbit cage bit me

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Keep us updated on your project! I am interested if raising the rabbits will make them less gamey. I don't particularly care for the meat. Let me know.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you are healing up, hoodat! You had me worried! I think raising meat rabbits is the most practical idea in the world. I would love to do it. I just haven't been able to get over the "cute" factor!!!!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are healing up quickly. We have New Zealand meat rabbits, they are very docile and easy to handle. I have not been bitten or scratched by the NZ's, I cannot say that about our dauhters rexes though. Rabbits are a clean and quiet animal that produce a large volume of ready to use fertilizer for their size. Butchering rabbits at least for me is easier than butchering a chicken. If given the choice I would rather eat rabbit over chicken every time. I am sure you will enjoy raising meat rabbits, if you can stop being attacked by the building materials LOL.

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ouch,glad to read you are healing well. I wanted to do meat rabbits too,but my kids won't let me kill any of the rabbits and chickens.Lol,only allowed to eat the eggs.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
April Manier said:
Keep us updated on your project! I am interested if raising the rabbits will make them less gamey. I don't particularly care for the meat. Let me know.
Rabbit meat should be quite mild flavored. If the rabbits you have been getting taste gamey they were probably too old at the time of butchering. It's best to get them as soon as they reach 4 to 5 pounds. If I'm planning on frying them like chicken I like to take them even younger.
Not many Americans are familiar with rabbit meat but there are plenty of French, Italian and other European recipes online. They also make good chili meat and taco filling.
Be sure to trim the fat off before cooking. Rabbit fat doesn't have a good taste. If a rabbit has more than a touch of fat at butchering it is being fed too rich a diet.