My Rosemary

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my rosemary plant - it's huge. It's eating my fence, but I love it and I can't bring myself to cut if back except for the occasional time I use it to cook with. I have to push it out of the way to get into the gate. The dogs will rub up agnist it and they smell so good! :D

rosemary.jpg

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Here is a picture of my rosemary plant - it's huge. It's eating my fence, but I love it and I can't bring myself to cut if back except for the occasional time I use it to cook with. I have to push it out of the way to get into the gate. The dogs will rub up agnist it and they smell so good! :D

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z75/joanm_2007/rosemary.jpg
Beautiful!!! I wish I could get one to grow like that outside! Love Rosemary.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep me too, wish i could get rosemary to grow like that. Look very beautiful!!;)
Here in zone 6 and colder we have to plant them in pots and move them indoors in winter. The rosemary seems to do fine outside in summer but once i bring it indoors it dries out and dies.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey, thats great!! You could probably snip some branches and dry it out for some sachets or something.
I planted one last year and it looks like its surviving winter fine, it may not survive the spring with the dogs and chickens though.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
... The rosemary seems to do fine outside in summer but once i bring it indoors it dries out and dies.
Me too, sigh. I think it needs a super-duper sunny window, that's what I think.

Southerngardener, re: "the occasional time" you use it, I used to forget to use my herbs all the time until I read this online mini article called "how to boost your salad's anioxident power by 200%". The answer was of course, to add fresh herbs. So now I love to run outside and snip twigs of thymes, oreganos, tarragon, sage, wintery savory and strip them over my salad or my hot food. So far I'm always waiting for the new rosemary to get big enough, sigh. But I mulched my front yard, I might as well eat what I got growing there, silly me. Yard-grown supplements.:cool:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :happy_flower
There are a lot of different varieties of Rosemary. I too wanted a huge one so when I moved house I planted a tall variety. It is now about 4ft 6ins tall & 5ft wide. Mine survives outside through our cold winters ( which are not as cold or as prolonged as yours ). I cut it back to keep it under control otherwise it would certainly be twice the width. I prune it after it has flowered -- which it is doing now. I use it for cooking a lot. One of my favourites is an Italian recipe -- you take a whole trout after it has been gutted, put a whole branch of rosemary plus a couple ofslices of lemon inside the fish then brush with olive oil & broil or BBQ, basting occasionaly with more oil. It is a very simple dish which I like to serve with saute potatoes and a tomato & onion salad, but spinach is also great with it. I also put branches of it, which I bruise first, into bottles of olive oil for a few weeks. I use this to paint over the fish & also the potatoes or shoulder of lamb :celebrate YUMMY :thumbsup

If you pour boiling water over sprigs of rosemary & leave them for a few hours, then use the liquid as the final rinse when you wash your hair; it will be really shiny & soft. My Grandma did this & now so do I; your hair smells great too.

Have a great day in the garden :tools :coolsun :tools :coolsun :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
If you pour boiling water over sprigs of rosemary & leave them for a few hours, then use the liquid as the final rinse when you wash your hair; it will be really shiny & soft. My Grandma did this & now so do I; your hair smells great too.

Oh my goodness!!!! I am soooooooooooooo going to try this....

Just need to get my rosemary going... that's one of the herbs I haven't gotten my hands on quite yet.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z75/joanm_2007/rosemary.jpg
My goodness, I am so jealous! I would be rolling in that plant like a dog, I love the stuff so much! Why can't I grow it? My favorite is roasted with olive oil, asparagus and new potatoes. Yum :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi vfem & me&thegals, :happy_flower

Do you know anyone who has a large rosemary plant, because it is just so easy to root cuttings from it :D All you need are 8"-10" pieces broken off the tips, non flowering if possible. Pull of the leaves on the bottom third & just rub a little of the outside of the stem off with a knife ( this wound will provoke the stem into producing roots). Stick your cutting round the edge of a pot which is full off gritty soil, snip out the growing point (the topmost half inch), then water & put somewhere in dappled shade for the summer. If it is very hot & sunny you will have to water occasionally. You will know when it has rooted because there will be new growth at the top.You should then repot each cutting into it's own pot -- you might want to keep them inside over winter but that depends on your location & weather -- I don't have to. :frow :celebrate

Hope this helps :ya :ya :ya Happy Gardening :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
My goodness, I am so jealous! I would be rolling in that plant like a dog, I love the stuff so much! Why can't I grow it? My favorite is roasted with olive oil, asparagus and new potatoes. Yum :)
You can grow it, you just have to take it in for the winter. I grow it every year. I admit I don't keep them, I just buy a new one every year at our plant sale. I'm surprised Natalie kept one outside over the winter, that's pretty amazing, she must have a microclimate there that's mild enough somehow.

Latest posts