My seed potatoes are here--HELP.

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My parents always planted potatoes on March 17th unless it fell on a Sunday then we would plant them on the 16th.

They planted 50 lb bag and the potato cut up into mostly quarters.

jackie

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Patch of Heaven Farm said:
I am trying the straw method this year. I planted some in the ground too just to make sure I will have some at harvesting time. Has anyone else done the straw method?
I did the straw method last year but I didn't really like it. I am sticking to the soil this year.
Its gets wet and nasty and if it rains hard enough it slides off and doesn't mound up right.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think potatoes have just the type of personality you would expect: Very basic, easy, not hard to please. I have screwed up the "right way" to plant potatoes so many times and have always had a worthy crop. Probably could have gotten more if I had paid attention, but I planted them too deep, never mound them up, almost never fertilize them, and they still grow! So, some things are fussy, but potatoes here certainly are not :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Blue Ridge Hillbilly said:
Last week was one of the warmest weeks I can remember here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. It was actually in the upper 60's on the day that I planted potatoes. This week it is cold again but supposed to get into the 50's tomorrow. I have a bundle of blackberry plants that I hope to get into the ground tomorrow mid morning. My afternoon is going to be helping out a friend who does not know how to prune his muscadine vines. Have a good day!
Oh wow... it was in the 70's here in the Triangle area. Though since then we've had a couple of below freezing nights and I must say I was not at all pleased by that as I had to cover my beds. My spinach and carrots and radishes (ect) didn't seem to mind the plastic covers and are growing strong already!

You guys have convinced me to plant some potatoes after I harvest my spinach. :) Thanks for getting me sooooooooooo addicted to planting things!!! :plbb

BTW, Blue Ridge Hillybilly: :welcome

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh wow... it was in the 70's here in the Triangle area. Though since then we've had a couple of below freezing nights and I must say I was not at all pleased by that as I had to cover my beds. My spinach and carrots and radishes (ect) didn't seem to mind the plastic covers and are growing strong already!
None of these veggie seedlings should be harmed by frost overnight. If it makes you feel better you can cover them with remay or something light.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
vfem said:
None of these veggie seedlings should be harmed by frost overnight. If it makes you feel better you can cover them with remay or something light.
My husband build mini plastic coveres with thin wood cages over them. I'm thinking my goodless they look great!!!! In fact, I think they are great enough for me to be able to grow through next winter and have radishes, spinach and lettuce well past fall here.

Now to get those potatoes ready for planting... my husband has a few ideas for those now too. :D

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just wanted to pop back into this thread and thank everyone for the great tips. Thank you, garden gurus! :bow

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you were going to plant potatoes in a raised bed built for just potatoes how many would you say you could plant in three 4' L x 2' W x 12" D beds? Or what other size bed do you recommend?

CARS

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I tried using landscaping cloth last year and covered that in straw. It worked great.

I first layed out the cloth and every 1 1/2 I cut a 6 inch hole. I then dug into the soil about 4 inches or so and layed in my potato chunks. I covered them up with the soil I dug out and covered the entire thing with last years chicken nesting box straw (aged, rinsed, yet not composted). I then dug them up in the fall.

That was it. As everything grew up, the cloth and straw kept everything from going green (well, the taters).