My Squash growing dos and don'ts...

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just wrote a blog post on my experience with growing squash for market. It is based on the 2 years we have done it. (Mainly my experience as my husband, now a lawyer grew them for 20 years!)

I am putting a link at the bottom to my article, but I am interested in your dos and don'ts with squash?

http://heronsnestfarm.blogspot.com/2012/01/growing-squash-two-ways.html

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't add much to all that good information on the blog, April. But, me bein' me, I'll try ;).

Maybe in short-season areas there are some who are afraid to start the plants indoors. I don't think they should be - just be afraid when you set them out :p. Nah, just be careful . . . and, don't wait too long to move them into the open garden. If you watch the day to day changes in the seedlings, you may be able to get an idea of when leaving them any longer in the containers isn't really a good thing. The stem will begin to toughen and the growth of that 1st true leaf will just slow to nothing. It is time to get them out there -- maybe with a little newspaper half-tent, for shade :cool:.

Do try the different varieties. Their days to maturity may be identical in the catalogs but don't believe it. Some will struggle in your garden and others won't - winter squash comes to us as, at least, 3 species. Species! It isn't just that there are multiple varieties within the species. These things can really be different from each other, even if they have similar uses in the kitchen.

Another thing and this is a little embarrassing to admit but -- acorn squash don't taste good. Not when they are from MY garden! Actually, I've grown good tasting acorn squash but where my present big veggie garden is - something is wrong! It must be the soil. I tried with 3 different acorn varieties in different growing season. They produced well - even had enuf to give a whole bunch to the neighbor. The neighbor had the nerve to confirm for me: they don't taste good! It must be the soil but kabocha, buttercup, and butternut taste good :)!

Steve

NJfarmer

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How did you protect them from animals? I grew acorn squash last summer and I believe squirrels nibbled on the squash then something came in (deer?) and ate all the leaves.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NJfarmer said:
How did you protect them from animals? I grew acorn squash last summer and I believe squirrels nibbled on the squash then something came in (deer?) and ate all the leaves.
We had a bit of Nutria damage. My best defense is the dog and my husband peeing around the edge of the field on tractor breaks!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have read that native Americans marked their territory around their gardens to rid themselves of animals. Men seem to love to pee outside. I have noticed the grass is much taller and greener where the human urine is placed. I would think it would chase animals. I put dog poo down woodchuck holes. Can't imagine they would like it much.

Latest posts