My strawberries are growing... can I plant them early?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I dont know much about strawberry crowns. I have had mine for about two weeks, and I wrapped them in moist paper towels, and put them back in the bag, per the directions.

Now, I checked on them today, and they have beautifull green leaves growing out of them! :hu Our last frost date is around May 10th. Can I plant them yet? I thought they had to wait, but I am not sure...

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If they are growing, I would plant them ASAP and put row covers of some sort on them. Even if all you have is an old sheet or burlap or something. I tried waiting one year and lost almost all of them (150 plants!) because they all sprouted, then got fungus and died.

The year after that, I put them in early when I got the shipment, and we got three feet of snow in April. Lost only half.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How funny I checked on mine today and mine are also starting to grow. I am planting tomorrow and I'm going to mulch heavily with straw as we are expecting heavy snow on Thursday and Friday, I may cover with a sheet as well, if it is going to get really cold :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a good idea! Go ahead and put them in the ground, if you are worried about a freeze cover them quickly or mulch them heavily.

I have little wood racks we made to put in the beds so we can cover everyone with plastic in case of frost and not crush the new plants.

You'll probably feel better knowing they are in the ground if that are growing.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok got my strawberries in and mulched over with straw and I will be able to cover that bed with a sheet or plastic if need be. Every one of the crowns was growing so I am glad got them in the ground.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Mine have been soaking while I dug the bed, and I am going out right now to plant them! Everyone of my kids is sleeping.... :weee

Latest posts