My Tomatillo Verde: Lots of blossoms, but no fruit

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've never grown Tomatillo before, so I'm at a loss as to what the problem might be. The plant is big and robust, maybe 4-5 tall and with dozens of blossoms. But the blossoms never mature into fruit, they just drop off and eventually a very tiny fruit shrivlels up and falls off as well.

Now, I have to admit I started it from seeds are about 4 years old :rolleyes: This plant is in the same bed a my tomatoes, which are doing fine.

My husband thinks I should have planted more than one, and attributes the lack of pollination to having just one plant.

Any ideas as to what I did wrong? :|

~Phyllis

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am growing tomatillo this year for the first time as well. I only have one plant but it has set a lot of fruit, no pollination problems. They are fairly slow to mature, but then my tomatoes have been too, I think my region is just cooler than normal this year and that is having an impact.

How are your temps? That is really my only guess, that your weather is having an impact. I am sure that some one more experienced than me will come a long and have something to offer....I just don' t know why it would be dropping blooms and fruit.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew a lone tomatillo plant once and still got fruit - however I did hand-pollinate to be cautious. Although in retrospect I doubt I needed to. You could try it though if you are bored some day <g>.

Night temperature would be my first guess. My rather vague recollections (it has been probably 15 yrs since the last time I grew tomatillos) are that it is at *least* as cold-night-sensitive as tomatoes. Is this a possibility from your weather?

Good luck,

Pat

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Daytime temps have been in the 80 and 90's with no humidity untill this weekend, and nights have been in the mid 60's to low 70's. It's been a picture perfect new England summer this year.

The tomaotes are going crazy this year.....I really wonder now if it's the old seed.

~Phyllis

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SewingDiva, hang in there. I have been growing tomatillos for the past 5 years and it seems every new season is a little different then the one before on how my tomatillos perform.

First off your 4 year old seed is not the problem. If it was you wouldnt have had any germination for a plant. Tomatillos do not need another plant for pollination , you can just gently shake the plant each day to help with pollination, or you can hand pollinate with small paintbrush etc.. sometimes the wind helps with pollination also. . Also bear in mind Tomatillos are like tomatoes and have to have consistent even moisture. Try to make sure they get even adequite moisture levels. Let soil dry out between waterings. Blossoms can fall off because of inadequate moisture or just the opposite with to much moisture. Also keep in mind it is not tiny fruit you should be seeing first. It is the beginning of a papery husk you should see. The fruit forms inside the husk.
Tomatillos will blossom for many weeks so be patient, there is still hope. I had one this year that blossomed for 3 weeks before I had any husks start to form. Good Luck

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Picture of tomatillo husk.

chicknclick2777-1.jpg

Latest posts