My tomato plants' leaves curling up

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have noticed my tomato plants' leaves are curling up. I tried to find out about tomato diseases on a few websites, but none of the cases seem to fit mine. I don't notice anything else wrong with the plants, just that the leaves are curling up. We have had a pretty cool and wet spring up here in the Roseburg, OR area. Could it be just that they have had too much water? I water with a soaker hose on the tomato bed. Should I not water as often? I'm afraid of watering too much and of not watering enough. I feel the soil around the plants before I water and, unless it is really damp, I then turn on the hose for a couple of hours. I do this about every other day. I fertilized them when they were about 6-8 inches tall, which was about 6 weeks ago. I've got all different kinds of tom plants in the tom bed. My grandson knocked over the seedlings before they were transplanted into the garden and it mixed them up so I don't really know what variety is planted exactly where in the tom bed. A few of the plants do seem to be stunted in growth compared to most of the others. These stunted ones are farthest from the soaker hose so maybe haven't gotten enough water. Also, these stunted ones are the only ones without curling leaves. Advice please.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pictures would help. Are the leaves remaining a nice green while they curl? You're suspicions about too much water are correct, that will cause leaf curl. See if you can post a photo or two.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would think that from what I've heard about the weather in your parts and the fact that you're putting down a soaker hose every other day for a couple of hours, that they have too much water. This would definitely cause the leaves to curl.

Typically tomatoes need about 1" of water per week to grow well. During the growing season we water them twice a week and reduce that to once a week once they start to set fruit. IME, this will help getting sweeter tomatoes. You're doing a great job by watering deeply and checking the soil to see if it's dry but I think you need to check the soil a little deeper. What's your definition of dry? :)

Let them dry out for a few days. This should help.

Then resume watering a few times a week, maybe 2-3. Overwatering can really damage tomato plants and cause a wide variety of problems for fruit.

Another problem with overwatering is this can cause nutrients to escape the soil faster by washing them away which then in turn can cause some more problems. If necessary, fertilize after you let them dry out a little. Throw some crushed eggshells down around each plant too, this helps with calcium levels which helps with nitrogen conversion and prevents blossom end rot.

Good luck

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thank you so much for the good advice. I'll put it to good use. I'm out there everyday looking over my garden and my neighbor jokingly calls over from her porch, "It's not gonna grow any faster." I'm just a worrier.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It may not grow any faster, (Though I'm not so sure about that!) but you'll notice anything they need sooner, and see pests sooner, which helps prevent as much damage! :coolsun

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't worry, Blurose, you're not alone! I "stalk" my garden also.....walking the rows like a prison guard! I have those kind of neighbors also....their gardens are always spindlier (is that even a word?) than mine! I think my garden appreciates the company......I know, I know, I have an active imagination! :rolleyes: :)

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine are curling as well. They appear healthy otherwise. I water about once a week with a sprinkler. We are having very hot days now so I'm afraid of my plants frying....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have about 3 plants that are curling....out of 72 planted in the same bed. They all get the same amount of water and are growing well...so, who knows?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Leaf roll or curl is a common thing that does happen to some varieties more than others after too much watering, heavy rains or really sunny hot days. Although leaf curl can be a sign of the onset of disease, if there are no further signs after a week or so then there shouldn't be any cause for concern. It is more common for the older leaves to show these signs but sometimes all the leaves can show leaf curl.

Broke Down Ranch how deep are you watering? Also, does the sprinkler splash water (and soil?) onto the leaves? If so, what time of day do you water?

Tomatoes require about 1" of water per week (more in hotter climates and sandy/loose soils, less in cooler climates and clay/more compact soils). Soil or water on the leaves can lead to many types of tomato diseases so this should be avoided. Water at the base of the plant and watering in the early morning gives the plants a chance to dry their leaves out should they come wet.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Leaf roll or curl is a common thing that does happen to some varieties more than others after too much watering, heavy rains or really sunny hot days. Although leaf curl can be a sign of the onset of disease, if there are no further signs after a week or so then there shouldn't be any cause for concern. It is more common for the older leaves to show these signs but sometimes all the leaves can show leaf curl.

Broke Down Ranch how deep are you watering? Also, does the sprinkler splash water (and soil?) onto the leaves? If so, what time of day do you water?

Tomatoes require about 1" of water per week (more in hotter climates and sandy/loose soils, less in cooler climates and clay/more compact soils). Soil or water on the leaves can lead to many types of tomato diseases so this should be avoided. Water at the base of the plant and watering in the early morning gives the plants a chance to dry their leaves out should they come wet.
It's just your basic back-forth sprinkler. It varies as to when I water but always either early-mid morning or evening after the hottest time of day. We have the hot days plus hard, black dirt (I'm guessing it has a fair amount of clay). I amended a bit prior to planting but not as much as I would have liked.

So, if it's a case of too much water do I wait and let them really dry before waterin again or do I cut back gradually? I have a soaker system I have been too lazy to put together - guess I will get it going now....

Latest posts