My tomatoes are taking 'forever' to ripen.

JaimeB

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, that's what I always thought, never hurts to ask though ;). Weather does play a big role in ideal conditions though. And unfortunately there's no controlling that :(. I planted my garden April 11-12 and I've yet to pick one ripe tomato. My watermellons just had their very first bloom yesterday. My pie pumpkins are also lagging behind but I'm sure I'll have what I need by Thanksgiving, so I'm not particularly bothered by that :cool:

JaimeB

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love your red cage Carol! I want I want! Lol. I actually had two ripening, but yesterday my 3yr old son decided to pick the one I'd been watching. So I'm back to just one reddish tomato.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
JaimeB said:
I love your red cage Carol! I want I want! Lol. I actually had two ripening, but yesterday my 3yr old son decided to pick the one I'd been watching. So I'm back to just one reddish tomato.
Aren't 3 year olds fabulous helpers in the garden? I love 'em to pieces. oh the memories you are making. :) Hugs....
p.s. I paid WAY to much for the red cage. Hubby and son said I could have spray painted on for a fraction.
Oh well, I LIKE IT! :D

JaimeB

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lol Carol. That's sounds like me. "I don't care how much it costs, it's red, and pretty, and I want it!" Lol.

Merelyatheory

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It started out slow for me as well. It seems to be picking up exponentially now. Soon I hope very much to be overwhelmed with the ripened beauties as all the different kinds start to produce at their maximum. My first was an Early Treat. They have not gotten to the size they should be yet. Good luck and I hope we are all seeing red :)

cprose1

Sprout
Reaction score
I am in Connecticut and it seems that some plants have good size tomatoes that just aren't showing any color. I have a Paul Robeson variety that has large tomatoes on it for the last two weeks with no signs of color. Started from seed indoors planted in April.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will post this link as I did on Merelyatheory's thread: Timeline of a Tomato Truss

What I suppose we can learn from that timeline is . . . patience. 52 days after the flower buds first begin to show - there is a nearly-ripe tomato.

I don't remember now where the timeline gardener is located. Of course, it would depend on seasonal warmth over time. It seems like I remember that most varieties don't ripen until they are about 1700 Growing Degree Days into the season. In this warmth-deprived part of the country, we are far from 1700 GDD! I just looked at the Weather Service info and Hartford, CT has had 1541 GDD so far this year, just a little short of the mark ;).

My tomato plants have given me a couple of handfuls of mostly cherries but I can go back about 52 days as to when flower buds may have begun to form on those plants and realize that in early May, they hadn't gone out into the garden yet. Most of those plants were already 12 weeks old by that time and buds were forming on the plants still in their pots. 84 days + 52 days = 136 days from seed to fruit!

OT: Round that off to 4 1/2 months and you can see why someone with 5 months frost-free season can't trust a volunteer tomato seedling to produce 1 ripe fruit! Besides not knowing what it is and not knowing if it is offspring from hybrids or open-pollinated varieties and not having room for the things . . . I can't rely on them to ripen fruit :/. These facts deprive me of a certain garden romance that I might otherwise enjoy :rolleyes:.

Steve :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's the same principle as,"A watched pot never boils". Every year it seems like those first green tomatos will never ripen, then suddenly you are buried under more tomatos than you can can and eat. At least tomatos are easy to give to the neighbors. They may hide when they see you coming with zuchini but they'll be at the door to welcome you if you have tomatos.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Like Hoodat says, a watched pot never boils! I have 28 tomato plants and planted them at 2 week intervals to get a steady supply. I've been picking the first plants harvest for about two weeks now, not quite enough for mayor canning yet but I'm enjoying very tasty fruit, hope the rest all come in at the same time so I can can whole, stewed and sauce all at the same time, I might have spaced them out too much.. keeping fingers crossed.. Will plan better next year...

JaimeB

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Hoodat..... you're too funny. I actually happen to love BBQing zuchini so I guess I'm different lol. The good news is.....my tomatoes have finally started ripening! And you're too right, I don't think I'm going to be able to use em up fast enough.
My fingers are crossed for you trunkman. It sounds like they're doing great so far. I'm sure there'll be a period soon where they're all producing at the same time ;)

Latest posts