My tomatoes are taking 'forever' to ripen.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
trunkman, don't forget you can start freezing whole tomatoes right now- for canning later. When you take them out of the freezer, and start thawing them, the skin slips right off.

JaimeB

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh yes. I've gotten a couple so far, and there are a few more that are almost there :D. I'm sorry you don't ance any just yet skeeter. I hope you'll be seeing lots of red soon.

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Same goes for NW Tennessee. I have loads of green tomatoes but just started to get red tomatoes. I've heard so many people this year say tomatoes aren't ripening . (Please see my post about the black spots) Just a blush and I bring them in on my enclosed porch to ripen. I found a worm in the black spost--crazy thing. I've had a garden for decades and never this problem.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
country lady said:
Same goes for NW Tennessee. I have loads of green tomatoes but just started to get red tomatoes. I've heard so many people this year say tomatoes aren't ripening . (Please see my post about the black spots) Just a blush and I bring them in on my enclosed porch to ripen. I found a worm in the black spost--crazy thing. I've had a garden for decades and never this problem.
That was probably a pickleworm. See my reply on the tomato with a blsck hole thread. The one that gets on tomatos looks like it's made of rubber with distinct raised sections.

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hoodat, thanks for the info. I pruned and went through my tomato patch this morning. I only found two plants and destroyed the few bad tomatoes that I saw. Hope it works. I stake my tomato plants but a farmer near me said he normally doesn't stake. This year he staked and the tomatoes are slower to ripen, he said. According to him, grass keeps the tomatoes off the ground.

Latest posts