#mybestfen

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Took Fenny for a ride. It was his first time and he was a very gud boi. After all the years I spent in a wheelchair, this was a landmark day. I didn’t think I would ever be back in the saddle, but I made it! I am still very weak but the riding will build strength and balance that will really help me a lot. I’ve started falling lately and it’s not been fun 😳

Fen wasn’t too sure about what he should be doing as he’s never seen me horseback. He followed from a distance, then finally walked beside us, then with confidence he led the way. He recently learned his left and right (so I can help him find what I need him to bring) it made navigating much easier. I will start training him to walk behind to my left as there are times he’ll have to be out of the way and fully under control. Another thing Heath did so well. I spent all that time fighting to get better so HEATH and I could ride. I never dreamed I would lose him. But Fen is doing an awesome job and even has some skills Heath didn’t.

IMG_4886.jpeg

We rode a few miles, then Fen ran to the house while I put Mister up.

It was a long trip in tge heat for him in his heavy black coat.

I think I might have broke him!!

IMG_4913.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you have been spending a lot of time off your feet and confined to a wheel chair you've probably lost both strength and balance. one of the best ways you can get both back is walking on uneven surfaces (instead of walking on a pathway walk off to the side on the grass). use a walking stick or two if you are at risk of falling. do not let the dog steal your walking sticks. :) be careful and slow, if you want to look at the flowers and plants along the way it's always ok. :) take it easy and build up gradually. this isn't a sprint (unless you're being chased by a grizzly or something).

other things you can do indoors for balance exercises are Tai Chi or Chi Kung (often spelled other ways) warm ups. some things like just standing in place a bit and then lifting one leg up a bit and wiggling your foot around and then changing sides back and forth and pretty much just doing the Hokey Pokey... little kicks and leg swings, gradually going higher as the practice continues.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a great ride! You will strengthen leg and back muscles and get good balance again. Not to mention what riding does for your mental health. On a horse you are FREE! How awesome for you!

Fen is such a personality! I love Fen. Can he ride with you? Just thinking if he gets really hot and tired. I’ve seen dogs in front, laid across rider’s lap, and dogs on back, standing behind the saddle.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fen is such a personality! I love Fen. Can he ride with you? Just thinking if he gets really hot and tired. I’ve seen dogs in front, laid across rider’s lap, and dogs on back, standing behind the saddle.
I’m not certain what either horse will tolerate from him. I’m not inclined at the moment to deal with the consequences of them saying “h3ll no” 😂

It’s a good idea once I get my seat back I might give it a try.
The cowboys all have black dogs with chrome as they use border collies here. They seem to do all right, but they are down in the big pastures When I say big, I mean 1,000 to 2,000 acres 🤠) and it’s green grass and creeks so he should be fine then. Right now we are riding in the heat of the day, down the dry and dusty road to the ranch “feedlot”

We would have headed down that way, but the ranch cavvy was in the alley I access it from

P1010002(2).jpeg

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fen was trying hard to get a 1:00 pm meal. He’s rather food motivated He began be climbing in his crate and staring, which is how he tells me he wants his meal served. If I don’t comply he starts crying pitifully and loudly! He carried on for quite some time after I told him “no”. Then he crawled out and began barking in ny face, DEMANDING some food! I again told him no and ignored him while opening my kindle. He stopped for a minute, then crawled up on the couch next to me, put his paw on my should and nestled his head on my chest, just melting all over me. I can’t resist him when he does that! I bit my lip and held out for as long as I could then asked if he wanted a cookie. His eyes got big and I reached over and gave him 2. He knows I am a pushover
IMG_5174.jpeg

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Were you supposed to get Fen a carousel for his surprise birthday party!?? :lol:
Isn't he a Border Collie?
I know that ALL herding dogs, like my GS, Eva, are high energy.
What fun!!
Actually he’s an English Shepherd. We had 7 BC’s on the ranch and they really put me off on them. The ES is a loose-eyed herding breed and are not nearly as intense. With them, it’s all about the bond and they are as happy just watching as they are herding, although Fen loves bossing chicks and cows. His breeder does competition herding and his half sister went High in trial her first time out. He’s definitely bred for it. So was Heath.
They are, however, order nerds

Last edited:

Latest posts