Myoga Ginger

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my Myoga ginger. I didnt bother doing one for the plant itself cos it pretty much looks like any other ginger.
As you can see the flower buds are insignificant compared to those that have flowers at the top of the stalks
P1000190.JPG

This is going to be a tasty treat in a couple of days.
P1000192.JPG

And here it is on a plate above a couple of the ones I 'pickled' a few days ago. These taste like the ginger slices you get when you buy Sushi, I think they have a gentler flavour.
I like the way they turned out. My experiment with pickling the root went ok but the texture wasnt as nice as these.
P1000193.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never tried the flowers. What about the ornamental ginger? I'm almost sure that it's just wishful thinking that those varieties would have any culinary value but imagine blossoms like those in your serving dishes!

Our ginger never has time to blossom. The first attempt at growing it was of little consequence. After that, the pots of store-bought roots were kept in the greenhouse through the summer.

Hot In There! But, the ginger production must have doubled.

Steve

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With the normal ginger, I guess it doesnt matter if they flower or not, cos you are growing for the roots. I do have a normal ginger that was sprouted from a shop bought one but I wasnt happy with the lack of zing. I guess where I have it just isnt quite right or hot enough.
It dies back every winter as well and I make sure its well mulched going into winter.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my Myoga ginger. I didnt bother doing one for the plant itself cos it pretty much looks like any other ginger.
As you can see the flower buds are insignificant compared to those that have flowers at the top of the stalksView attachment 34817
This is going to be a tasty treat in a couple of days.
View attachment 34818

And here it is on a plate above a couple of the ones I 'pickled' a few days ago. These taste like the ginger slices you get when you buy Sushi, I think they have a gentler flavour.
I like the way they turned out. My experiment with pickling the root went ok but the texture wasnt as nice as these.
View attachment 34819
Japanese ginger can be grown in most soils where well-milled manure or garden compost has been added. The soil should be moisture-retentive and well-drained. This hardy, herbaceous perennial can be cultivated in the sun or in partial shade.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Japanese ginger can be grown in most soils where well-milled manure or garden compost has been added. The soil should be moisture-retentive and well-drained. This hardy, herbaceous perennial can be cultivated in the sun or in partial shade.

contact you agi department if you need more help growing things....

Latest posts