mystery forest growth - solved - Texas Palm (Sabal mexicana)

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
S6304227.JPG

S6304228.JPG

Haven't ever noticed any flowers involved, but sure looks like it should bloom something, doesn't it?
:caf

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow!

I have to admit, Joe, i laughed you out of the room when you said that, but then i started looking and found this .

I am floored.

It definitely isn't native here - websites say it's native to the Rio Grande area. So i'm guessing the birdies are doing their job. I've seen it a lot, but it never gets big around here and grows on the forest edge. The soil is perfect for it to take root, but we don't get enough sun for it to really grow i don't think.

I also think it would look pretty funny if it did. Everyone would be like, 'why did you put a PALM tree right there??!!'

Good job, Joe! :thumbsup

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh wow! Lucky you!

Pot 'em up!!! :D
I'm sorry to disappoint, but i'm afraid i won't be putting any effort toward the propagation of palm trees here in my little shade forest. I'm afraid the poor thing would end up looking quite pathetic if were able to grow into an adult at all.

Now, if someone wants me to dig it up for them, i'd be happy to do that, but i might need some help with the postage. :)

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
palm

idk what kind of palms you have there (if any are native) but if it was here it would more likely be a palmetto palm BUSH than a tree palm.

Latest posts