Mystery Houseplant

Brad497

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I seen a plant with unique foliage that I needed( :love ) at the store when I had no extra spending money, so I waited and when I went back they only had one wilted plant left. Price was reduced so I bought it hoping I could save it. They had it in a pot that held water and it was wilted so I replaced the pot but it is still wilted 2 days later. Anyone know what it is so I can care for it properly?:
mystery1011_zps9a769195.jpg

Close up of stem:
mystery1012_zps6e463988.jpg

It is currently in the greenhouse so hopefully I can keep it alive at least until it is identified.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like a Christmas cactus. If it is they will root easily. You could take some leaf segments from the tips and put them in a good light soil mix, or even a seed starting mix, kept moist, and they should form roots within a few weeks.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm back, the phone rang :). Probably the over watering has caused root rot, so, since you say you've repotted water sparingly along with misting the plant itself regularly until it perks up which will take more than a day or two . As said above, take a few cuttings just to be on the safe side.
Take a couple of the leaf blades, let the cut end heal for a day then pot them up with or without a little rooting powder. Water sparingly, mist the cuttings until you see them perking up then treat as you would any of the Jungle Cactus.

Annette

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I seen a plant with unique foliage that I needed( :love ) at the store when I had no extra spending money, so I waited and when I went back they only had one wilted plant left. Price was reduced so I bought it hoping I could save it. They had it in a pot that held water and it was wilted so I replaced the pot but it is still wilted 2 days later. Anyone know what it is so I can care for it properly?:
mystery1011_zps9a769195.jpg

Close up of stem:
mystery1012_zps6e463988.jpg

It is currently in the greenhouse so hopefully I can keep it alive at least until it is identified.
This looks just like my Night Blooming Cereus. I use a systemic insecticide on it because mealy bugs love it. I am not a fan of chemical insecticides but I could not control the mealy bugs any other way. Do not over water it. A soaking after the wilting was necessary. (Unless it had been overwatered) Overwatering can be mistaken for under watering on this plant and many others. I it is an orchid cactus. It took several years for it to bloom but yours looks big enough to bloom. It is and unbelievable plant. It roots easily so if it looks like it will not recover select the best looking stems and stick them in soil. It blooms spring through summer. I use orchid fertilizer on mine. The plant looks good in the second photo. The buds are large but hide easily. I missed a few blooms not knowing what to expect. They will fill the whole room with fragrance and bloom at night. I have invited a friend over to experience it. We sat with the plant and drank a glass of wine until we could not stay awake any longer. The blooms last one night. It is worth every bit of effort.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/great-winter-bloomers.14736/#post-166363

Brad497

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got reconnected to the internet. I have Christmas cactus so I am pretty sure it is not one of them. The leaves were paper thin and it has a mottled stem. Despite my efforts I don't think this plant will make it. I will take another photo of it tomorrow.

Brad497

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I looked up the orchid cacti, now I've gotta get me one of them.

I did some searching and I think I found what this plant is,
Dizygotheca elegantissima

It was on the shelf with all the other Exotic Angel Plant brand plants so I looked through about 20 pages on their website and found this. The photo on their site is what the plant looked like the first time I seen it in the store. Out of all the easy to grow plants I go and pick the one with specific requirements:/

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Even if your plant is looking poorly, take a few cuttings NOW, if your plant is going downhill fast it's probably got root rot. You still have a good chance of saving it through cuttings. Stick a few cuttings in a pot in some moist medium, not soaking wet. Put a plastic bag over it and don't water again (unless it dries out completely) until you see the cuttings perking up.
The picture you are showing of your plant is definitely in the Orchid Cactus family, it's not Dizgotheca elegantissima which is in the Aralia family. I should of added look at this link, looks identical to your plant http://www.google.ca/search?q=epiph...14HoDw&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1140&bih=790

Hope this helps.

Annette

Last edited:

Latest posts