Mystery plant with supersonic hyper growth

GreenFinger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think this miracle grow potting mix has all sorts of seeds in it, intentionally or unintentionally I don't know.
I will make a test next week and fill a pot with only that soil and water it to find out what's going to happen I will update you in a separate post.

Attachments

• 20220220_201319.jpg
    20220220_201319.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 112

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
To judge by the other seedlings which have also appeared, the mystery plant is most likely also a weed that was in the soil mix. My one attempt at using MG soil had similar results, which was one of the reasons (aside from its cost) that I never used it again.

I wish I could help with the identification. Hard to tell at that young stage, the only possibility which comes to mind is pokeweed, Phytolacca americana.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I ate one of my favorite apples, cosmic crisp, and 2 of the seeds showed signs of germinating.
Ha! I will make me own cosmic crisp apple tree to eventually feast on...

The first seed that germinated in a petri dish I planted in a new pot&soil right in the middle, February 2.
On February 6 (day 1) a green bud/bulb started to show in the soil.
On February 8 (day +2) something was starting to flap out some big leaves. Almost 1 inch tall
On February 9 (day +3) it grows and grows insanely...
On February 11 (day +5) some flappy leaves... Almost 2 inches tall
On February 12 (day +6) something new and red comes out in the middle... Almost 3 inches tall!!!
On business for a few days I come back:
On February 18 in the morning (day +12) About 5 inches tall!
on February 18 in the evening.... Help! Another half an inch, 6 1/2 inches tall!

I wonder how long it takes until I hear "feed me, feed me, feed me..."
I told my friend if you suddenly don't hear from me anymore, check with the police and if you try to get into my apartment,
but the roots are blocking access, I probably have been eaten up by this thing while asleep....
(Take things with a little humor is always important to me)

WHAT IS IT?

This thing, whatever alien outer space thingy it is, it is grows so fast that you cannot only "hear it" but just by looking at it you can actually see it growing!
Anyone know what it is? Cell division at hypersonic speed.
I've never in my life seen a plant grow that fast and I have lived in the tropics.
For sure it ain't no Apple tree from the seed I planted!

By the time I get some answers here I will post a "progress" picture!
I was looking at the wrong image and thought you HAD an apple seedling. The latest image looks like a wild vine that invades my property that develops thorns. I don't know the name. But enjoy it indoors and make sure your apple seeds go into sterile soil next time. Don't plant it outside.
If you try again, you will not get a true Cosmic crisp from seed. But it would be a fun experiment.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was looking at the wrong image and thought you HAD an apple seedling. The latest image looks like a wild vine that invades my property that develops thorns. I don't know the name. But enjoy it indoors and make sure your apple seeds go into sterile soil next time. Don't plant it outside.
If you try again, you will not get a true Cosmic crisp from seed. But it would be a fun experiment.

i had a great time years ago when we got a bunch of different apples from an organic grower that were likely going to be wasted, we turned them into apple sauce for the food kitchen for the homeless but i saved a bunch of seeds from the various apples to plant out. and then i looked up what i had to do to get them to grow.

find a sunny spot, free of weeds bury them down about an inch in a row or in a pattern you will be able to recognize when they sprout the next spring. the seeds do need a cool spell to break dormancy, so if the apples have not been in cold storage they will need some cold weather through the winter to get them to sprout (some may sprout anyways but i'd stratify them anyways if i were in a warm climate). keep them moist but not soggy. around here the snows usually do enough of that. next spring when it gets warm enough they'll sprout. thin and trim as needed. move them after they've started to actively grow, the bigger they get the harder it is to do.

i had a 7ft hedge within two years. i cut them down several times. there were many different kinds of apple trees in the mix, different growth habits and leaf shapes and sizes. i wish i'd had a spot to move them to where the deer would not eat them but that wasn't going to happen so eventually i did cut them down yet again and then had to dig them up because they'd keep resprouting.

i had probably 150 apple tree saplings to start with, but by the time i finally dug them out i had about 40 that had survived repeated cutting back.

if i wanted to plant a living hedge they would have been an interesting experiement because i could have had the trees growing close enough together that a deer or rabbit could not get through. i just would have needed to protect them for three years and monitor for any that didn't survive to replace it with a stick or a fresh sapling.

a living hedge of cider apples would be the eventual goal if i were to do this. among those many trees you might find a few that had more edible apples if you were lucky. :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
i had a great time years ago when we got a bunch of different apples from an organic grower that were likely going to be wasted, we turned them into apple sauce for the food kitchen for the homeless but i saved a bunch of seeds from the various apples to plant out. and then i looked up what i had to do to get them to grow.

find a sunny spot, free of weeds bury them down about an inch in a row or in a pattern you will be able to recognize when they sprout the next spring. the seeds do need a cool spell to break dormancy, so if the apples have not been in cold storage they will need some cold weather through the winter to get them to sprout (some may sprout anyways but i'd stratify them anyways if i were in a warm climate). keep them moist but not soggy. around here the snows usually do enough of that. next spring when it gets warm enough they'll sprout. thin and trim as needed. move them after they've started to actively grow, the bigger they get the harder it is to do.

i had a 7ft hedge within two years. i cut them down several times. there were many different kinds of apple trees in the mix, different growth habits and leaf shapes and sizes. i wish i'd had a spot to move them to where the deer would not eat them but that wasn't going to happen so eventually i did cut them down yet again and then had to dig them up because they'd keep resprouting.

i had probably 150 apple tree saplings to start with, but by the time i finally dug them out i had about 40 that had survived repeated cutting back.

if i wanted to plant a living hedge they would have been an interesting experiement because i could have had the trees growing close enough together that a deer or rabbit could not get through. i just would have needed to protect them for three years and monitor for any that didn't survive to replace it with a stick or a fresh sapling.

a living hedge of cider apples would be the eventual goal if i were to do this. among those many trees you might find a few that had more edible apples if you were lucky. :)
Very cool. I had no idea they could grow so fast.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very cool. I had no idea they could grow so fast.

yes, most of the apple trees people get for their homes are grafted trees which makes the trees smaller (and sometimes weaker) to keep them within a more manageable size and rate of growth.

i had this fantasy of growing thousands of seedlings to find the ones that would reproduce by seeds and still have a decent taste and then i looked into the genetics and mathematics of it. heh. if such a tree exists already i don't know. and no, i'm not going to look. i've already managed to distract myself enough already today. hahaha! :)

GreenFinger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What is it? Anyone can identify.
This thing is growing and growing ~1/2" in 24hrs.
Is approaching now 12" height from 0" on Feb 6.
Large leaves are ~3½" long and ~2½" wide.

Attachments

• 20220308_105609crp.jpg
    20220308_105609crp.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220308_154737.jpg
    20220308_154737.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 125

Latest posts