Naked-seeded pumpkin project

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
An update on my 2022 (yes) grow-out:

As I had mentioned previously, we had a pretty poor harvest which I think is mostly due to insufficient water throughout the season and because they were planted too late. I ended up with a few pumpkins which I stored on our unheated basement floor for the winter. All but one eventually shriveled or rotted. The one shown below, a hand-pollinated specimen grown from the 2021-09 selection, still looked pretty good in May, 2023 (photos below). So this was Planted 7/2/22, pollinated 9/5/22, harvested 10/20/22, and kept until cut open on 5/5/23. The seed production was low, but I think that's due to the other factors I noted. I'm impressed with the storage quality on this one.

IMG_9536.jpeg

IMG_9537.jpeg

IMG_9539.jpeg

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And now for 2023:

We seem to have a strong crop this year. I have 4-6 plants each of the seed collected in 2021 from 2021-02, -03, -04, -08, and -09. I did not replant any from my 2022 grow-out.

So far, the plants have put out vigorous growth and there are several naturally-pollinated pumpkins. And, we hand pollinated the first pumpkins this morning!

IMG_0971.jpeg

Is anyone else growing Little Greenseed this year?

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is anyone else growing Little Greenseed this year?
Not this year. I had hoped to plant the most promising seed from 2022; but heavy weed presence in the planned location (and very little help) led to those plans being canceled. Although I haven't quite given up on this project, not sure how much effort I'll be able to devote to it now that its just me.

I still have plenty of the original -02, -04, -08, and -09 seed, and the hand-pollinated 2nd generation -02, -04, and -09 from 2022... I would be happy to send seed next year to anyone interested. Chances are though that you will be progressing faster than I am on this project, @BeanWonderin .

The good thing is that although I only planted a small sample of each line last year (2 plants each) all of the seeds from those were hull-less. I'm overjoyed to see the selection process showing good results so quickly, much faster than I expected.

Didn't have room in my home garden to squeeze in those (longer than expected :ep) vines this year. But the true-bush acorn squash has become scarce, so I'm growing a few plants of those for seed... just did the first pollination this morning.

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm taking note of the growth habit of each Little Greenseed selection. Some are vining considerably and some are bush-like. I've also noticed at least one type that has a tendency to throw double and triple flowers. If the production and other factors are comparable, I will probably choose the bush habit to grow moving forward.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before you consider selecting for bush habit, I would recommend carefully examining the main stem. The performance of LGS in my garden - with SVB visibly hovering in & around the plants - seems to demonstrate SVB resistance. I attribute that to the very hard stems, and the roots which formed wherever the vines touched the ground. It is possible that in selecting against the long vines, those SVB-resistant traits may be left behind.

That being said, given the now-reduced size of my gardens, I would be far more likely to grow a bush version in the future. I do love pumpkin seeds.

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The tidy Little Greenseed patch has exploded with growth and is threatening a hostile takeover of the adjacent garden rows. It's been a struggle to track each flower to the proper plant, but we are now up to 20 hand pollinated pumpkins and many more naturally pollinated. It's looking to be a good crop!
IMG_1191.jpeg
IMG_1200.jpeg

Latest posts