Name Your Heirloom Tomatoes For This Year!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would like to know ALL the heirloom / non-hybrid varieties you have chosen to grow this year. List only your Tomatoes. I would like to see if their is a pattern of choice, and popularity among us!

I have:
Banjan Roomii
White Wonder
Green Sausage
Chocolate Cherry
Esther Hess Yellow Cherry
Italian Market Wonder
Purple Cherokee

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This year I am trying several new to me heirlooms (marked with an asterisk).

Amish Paste *
Super Italian Paste *
Hungarian Heart *
Yellow Pear *
Mountain Princess *
Marglobe (50% germinations rate ???)
Rutgers
Money Makers * (freebie from the seed company, plants are
smaller and slower growing then the rest of
my tomatoes)

I am hoping for bigger paste tomatoes with the Amish Paste and Super Italian then I was getting with Romas. And I was really wanting to try out some new determinates to see how if I want to go with more of that type. When I grew them in the past I always like them I just didn't know they were determinate or that there was even a difference. I do have romas started but I am giving them to my brother.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Amish paste
Heidi paste
Brandywine
Pale Perfect purple
Lillian's Yellow
Etoile Blanche D'Anvers
Black Krim
Roza red*
Belgian yellow giant*
Another kind, I forget what, and my notebook is buried under a million half-empty seed packets*

*Sent as "try it and see" from Sand Hill Preservation. So far the Yellow Giant is doing quite well, although I'm still in the process of hardening off seedlings before I set them out.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I would like to know ALL the heirloom / non-hybrid varieties you have chosen to grow this year. List only your Tomatoes. I would like to see if their is a pattern of choice, and popularity among us!
What would be great is an evaluate your heirloom tomato thread at the end of the growing season. That would be so helpful with next years planning.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ildi
Yellow Submarine
Black Cherry*
Boisson*
Bloody Butcher
Jaune Flamme*
Pink Pearls
Thessaloniki
Orange Minsk*
Market Miracle*
Rainy's Maltese

*new-to-me :), some of the others are old friends :D

I also have a couple of open-pollinated varieties that I can't call heirlooms, like Kimberley. I'm certainly looking forward to that one, tho'.

Vfem, what you may be seeing, and I kind of hope that you are, are varieties that we expect to do well in our geographical areas. (Also, you may see that some of us have talents as cooks :p, I'll exclude myself.)

Steve

edited to add: Oh! I see you do want to see the non-hybrids, V. Okay, they are: Kimberley, Airdrie Classic, Early Wonder, and Legend . . . I think that's it. The first 3 are new-to-me.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree, that is why instead of roma's I am going with the Amish paste. Popular in Winconsin and Pennsylvania, neighbors on my right and left, with shorter growing seasons.

The super Italian paste just looks really cool. I found one yesterday that was a determinated tomato that I decided to try next year, didn't write it down and today can remember the name. :barnie

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am growing Gilbertie Paste and Yellow Pear Cherry Tomatoes, which are heirlooms. Also a couple hybrids. Really hoping to can 50 quarts of sauce. Even with the bad year, last summer I did 25- so fingers crossed!

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've got started.....

Roma
Amish Paste
Marglobe
Pink Brandywine
Rutgers
Nineveh
San Marzano

I'm looking forward to alot of work at seasons end :he

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my first year really trying to grow tomatoes, so I don't know much about them but I believe these are the heirlooms I have:

Brandywine
San Marzano
Roma
Red Currant
Fireworks

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Indeterminates
Brandywine OTV
Mortgage Lifter
Mr. Stripey
Black Krim
Japanese Black
Jubilee

Determinants
Sweet Tangerine
Rutgers

I've also got a few hybrids but you did not ask about them.

Latest posts