Nasturtiums!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thought that I should get a lot of suggestions for this, with all of the flower people on here. Looking into some for this upcoming growing season, I really like the looks and would like to attract some more pollinators or at least keep them around for longer. I also read that they deter some pests. My favorite color would probably be really dark red. I have two questions -

How big do the trailing types get? Because I want to incorporate them into other plantings and don't want them strangling their neighbors.

And any suggestions for dwarf varieties? Those would probably be better for me. I've already got "Alaska Red Shades" written down. I think that I'm really going to like those (might need to plant a lot for more flowers, my soil is very fertile).

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO, mine got about 5 ft. I pulled them out a couple years ago because they were getting all over the place. I still get seedlings occasionally and have to pull those out. I'm sort of a neat freak and they kept getting into the patio. My coop was on a coop tour one year and someone commented how all of my garden was very neat but the nasturtiums section looked wild. I just responded that was my wild side. :)

If I were you I would definitely grow them. They are so easy and pretty.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are all types of nasturtium. The trailing types weave themselves in nicely with other plants-they are not the strangling type. They are very easy to grow. I just press the seed right into the soil in springtime. They come up with little attention other than moisture. They are not bug chasers. In fact they would more likely be a trap crop. Aphids love them so they are used to keep aphids off of food crops. Those black moldy looking aphids are the ones I see on mine. There are some stunning reds. They will be blooming when much else has gone by. They are tolerant to first frosts.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had the trailing type in a window box on my coop. They reached right down to the ground-4 to 5 feet. I always plant them among my tomatoes. They are fun to add to salads. I find the reds are harder to grow than the orange and yellow. But, that could just be me. Plant them, you will enjoy them!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are the one of the few plant I grow from seed they are that easy. They like poor soil, if soil is to rich you will get a lot of leaves and few flowers.A client once mentioned she buys starts every year, when she came back I had a package of seeds for her. now evey spring I give her a seed pack of a differnt type of Nasturium. Like cat said they are aphid magnets.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll buy a few packets for this year. As for rich soil = less flowers I'll just plant more of them, or plant them under a heavy feeder like corn or sorghum. As long as they distract the bugs from the stable crops it'll be fine (I do plan on using the flowers).

Ever since we've cut down the weeds and brush in a nearby field the aphids have been all over the place. They must have relied on the wild stuff for food and turned on the crops for food after we got rid of the wild stuff. These are mostly the red aphids and they reek havoc on my cabbage family crops. :hide

Latest posts