Need a 14" Auger

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here.. if you rent something for Saturday and you have it back on their lot by the time they open on Monday, it's no extra charge rental. ;)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you , how does that thing work? A power auger tosses the soil back out of the hole as it digs - at least to a certain depth. Is this more like a post hole digger? Make a couple twists, lift it out, empty, back in the hole.....???

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It is the very best MANUAL post hole digger bc you turn the handles in a circular motion to dig a hole. It won't dig a super big hole, but I have dug up to a 2 ft hole before with this, and many times I have dug shallower holes for tomatoes and other vegetables. I have had mine for 18 years and I swear a child could use it and not wear out. I would NEVER own one of those "slam into the ground and pry apart" manual post hole diggers! You won't have any arms left!
You corkscrew down until it fills with dirt, pull out and empty, repeat. I have put in wooden fence posts with mine. You Can adjust with width, but I haven't bothered to do so. It tills up the soil, which you can backfill when you are done. Yes, some of the dirt tries to go back into the hole, but, like other gardening chores, it takes a little bit of elbow grease. I have also cut small roots with it. Like my other "toys" I try to never leave it out in the weather and it retains it's original green paint everywhere bc of this.
IF you don't have to dig a lot of holes, but think that you may have some in your future, it is a good, NON electric tool to have in your toolshed, IMHO.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I'm planning on needing this for about 150+ trees per year for the next 5 years or so as I get my crop growing. Then there's all the other random holes I'll dig for other hole digging things.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I ended up finding one of these Earthquakes for $300 ($150 off), so now I just need the bit
Earthquake 9800k

0004033_9800k-powerhead-2-man-4-cycle-xt775-kohler_625.jpeg

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL - this reminds me of a time when the company I was working for had put an office trailer in a parking lot. A few years later they decided that it needed a little 'prettying-up' and bought some azalea bushes to put along the front. The rented one of these, painted circles on the gravel parking lot where they wanted the bushes, pulled 2 guys out of the plant and told them to dig the holes.
From inside the trailer, we heard it start up... then a yelp and a thunderous bang! When it says '2-man' it MEANS 2-man - one skinny little kid holding on and the other guy leaning against the truck doesn't work.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LOL - this reminds me of a time when the company I was working for had put an office trailer in a parking lot. A few years later they decided that it needed a little 'prettying-up' and bought some azalea bushes to put along the front. The rented one of these, painted circles on the gravel parking lot where they wanted the bushes, pulled 2 guys out of the plant and told them to dig the holes.
From inside the trailer, we heard it start up... then a yelp and a thunderous bang! When it says '2-man' it MEANS 2-man - one skinny little kid holding on and the other guy leaning against the truck doesn't work.

Hahaha! Nope, this will be myself and a friend or myself and my wife, who is a little reluctant but will acquiesce

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hahaha! Nope, this will be myself and a friend or myself and my wife, who is a little reluctant but will acquiesce
That site that you posted does NOT show up on my screen ... However, When Cane says 2 men , she means 2 MEN ... as in 2 NFL defensive tackles . Just how BIG and STRONG are you, your friend, and / or are your wife ? Me thinks that you return this new toy and rent a Bobcat with a auger and possibly a person to operate it included . Will be faster and cheaper in the long run. When I rented this type of combo a number of years ago, the guy drilled 100 holes for 100 redwood trees through a hardpan that was 6-8" thick ( each hardpan meandered from a couple inches to 2 feet down from the surface and the soil consisted of 5 types of clay washed down from the mountains ,meaning hard as a rock) with each hole being 3 -12" holes side by side to be 3 feet wide and 42" deep in just over 6 1/2 hours. Have fun ! :old

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
But this is something he's going to need on an almost weekly basis - so rental isn't an option.
That thing will work. I've used one with my 70yr old Father holding the other side. It's impressive how it will kick a rock up out of the hole!!! :ep
I'm sure he took the tork-factor into consideration. I mean, it's not like he's ME jumping into things with little to no real thought to how it's going to work out. LOL

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
But this is something he's going to need on an almost weekly basis - so rental isn't an option.
That thing will work. I've used one with my 70yr old Father holding the other side. It's impressive how it will kick a rock up out of the hole!!! :ep
I'm sure he took the tork-factor into consideration. I mean, it's not like he's ME jumping into things with little to no real thought to how it's going to work out. LOL
HAHA. Thanks. Yes, I've thought about the angles that have been brought up. If there's one thing I suffer from it's analysis paralysis. If there's two things it's analysis paralysis and being a bad-ass ;)

But seriously, it'll be me (175 lbs of normal dude who lift weights and is training to be a muay thai fighter) and my buddy who's about 6'2" and is 300 lbs who will attack this. I'm excited as hell and now just need to figure out my irrigation system (a thread coming to a forum to you soon ;) )

And yes, I will need this on a yearly basis for years.