Need a small water pump

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
went back and read your thread....starting a tree farm...

if i read it correctly you are going to grow these trees.... quote.." I hope to be providing several hundred trees a year to my local groups and helping to support this ecosystem"
with that said...are you planning to sell or give away these trees to the your local groups ? in the long run on selling to the public down the road?.

the reason i'm asking this.. you have a great piece of property to start off as a "
Nursery Stock Grower" but as things expand into more than your initial goal.
start growing multiple different species on top of local species..

you have a great plan on the watering system start up, would look into the future and see what the cost would be to have a well dug on the property to supply the nurseries irrigation needs, instead of running off the house well.

going to hold here till i hear back from you...

Funny you should ask about a well. There happens to be this manual fella a little near my planned location AND it just so happens he even has an electrical source nearby. It works, but obviously I would want to replace it with a powered pump.
20190122_065027.jpg

So the overall goal is to sell these trees to the groups. I am starting with about 150 trees in the ground but plan to expand that over years to about 700+ at any given time. My initial customer base will be three main entities but I am not opposed to selling outside of that, it is a business after all, it's just that they might buy up my entire stock for the following year's sales on an annual basis.

I held back from asking the question of what if you are successful and want to expand? That 3\4 pipe will be like a noose on production at that node.
So my plan is to figure out some forking system off the main tank so that I can feed water to any of the lines of trees. This year I am putting in one full double row and one partial double row but my future plan is to have 7 or 8 double rows of trees. The irrigation Will be my struggle, so I'm just doing what I can for year one and then taking it from there

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SprigOfTheLivingDead , this is what I would do, and I am for doing things the simplest way possible.
1. Put your prv (pressure reducing valve) directly on your hose bib.
2. Gets couple 5 gallon buckets maybe put gallon marks on them.
3. Place bucket under hose bib and open valve wide open and start filling buckets. I would just do 30 seconds and double it for a 1 minute test. That will be the maximum Gpm you can get with 3/4” size supplies.
4. After all that I would locate a commercial irrigation supply house and explain to them what you want to do on a budget for sure. This time of year they may be willing to help you with advice about best options as far as inline pump size.
This may sound pretty rudimentary but that is how I do stuff lol.you can probably find a calculator on google to figure out your static line pressure also. Just know how many get of fall you have and how many feet of pipe and pipe size. Looks like you have a good plan though. Good luck

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
here another doddle for you, since you are planning on growing multiple species.. just a couple suggestions you can think about...

1. place the water tank on the uphill side of the property , it's less effort to pump downhill.
2. create zones to grow different species in or 1 year sapling 2 year saplings ..etc
3. create paths between them, so you will be able to get carts/equipment though my idea is to lay down gravel so when clients come by they are not walking in mud.
4. create a gravel road on one side of nursery top to bottom <go back to #3>. along the edge of road and nursery beds install your main water line to feed each zone...

somebody mentioned going bigger on the main line. have to agree you would better off with a 1" main and then reduce down for each zone....

IMG_E3023[1].JPG

look into your long term goals ,where do want to be in 3,4,5,6,7 years down the road. think about laying down the infrastructure now so when the nursery expands it's in place or easily expandable with little effort or cost...
work smarter, not harder .......

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been thinking about that 1" line proposal and thinking how I would do that since my mapped out sections were 7-8 400' long sections, but your drawing has me thinking of redoing that. I'll get back to you all :)

My whiteboard prior to the drawing I showed earlier had my field layout where I did have paths 8' wide between each double row.

Also, thanks for the idea of an irrigation company. It might be worth 50$ for someone to come out and just chat with me for a bit

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm really liking the shorter zones for helping to control the pressure.

For the 2" --> 1" conversion / reducer would you do that before or after the pump and pressure regulator?

Attached pic shows T joints for each zone reducing that 1" down to 3/4 and then putting a hose timer for making that zone live.

20190123_131450.jpg

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
while rebuilding one of the buffers turntable pin bearings today.. think you would be better off in the long run finding out more about the well <hand pump> how deep is the water table, how many gpm can it produce and sink a submersible well pump or possible a jet pump of course both would need a pressure tank. think you would better going that direction instead of a diaphragm pump.....

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
while rebuilding one of the buffers turntable pin bearings today.. think you would be better off in the long run finding out more about the well <hand pump> how deep is the water table, how many gpm can it produce and sink a submersible well pump or possible a jet pump of course both would need a pressure tank. think you would better going that direction instead of a diaphragm pump.....

Yeah, I think that will have to be the plan down the road. I have a local irrigation guy who I'm going to meet with and I'll ask him if he can help with any information about that

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that will have to be the plan down the road. I have a local irrigation guy who I'm going to meet with and I'll ask him if he can help with any information about that

pick their brain, there's no such thing as a stupid question... going to interesting what their recommend

Latest posts