Need a small water pump

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is the tank air proof? Instead of a pump, put on a attachment to add air pressure to force water out.

A 5/gallon per minute pump is around $100+.
10gallon pumps are not much either. But the hassle is a pita unless you spend for quality, and even then you get to rebuild them.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
As I said in my auger thread I now need to figure out a pump for my irrigation line but I have no idea what I need to get. So, if anyone has some knowledge on water pumps I would love to hear it. To help with that I drew a diagram of what will essentially be my setup and numbered a few points of note.

I was instructed that for a line of 150 trees I would need 8GPM at a min of 35psi & some 3/4" tubing can do 10GPM.

View attachment 30227
Tank = 550gal water tank with a 2" exit hold off of it.
green circles = trees
black lines = 3/4 tubing
1 = shut off valve
2 = filter
3 = water pump (electric)
4 = pressure regulator (I was told to put this right after the pump)
5 = 1/4 lines with a 3.2GPH spray stake

Questions
  1. The tank will have a 2" exit hole that I will need to reduce this to 3/4" either at the tank exit, right after the shutoff (1) or after the pump (2). So if you have thoughts on when that should be speak up.
  2. Is there some algorithm I need to follow up calculate the horsepower I need from a pump in this situation?
  3. What pump could I use in-line to get the pressure up to that 10 GPM pressure? Additional thought: I suppose I could toss a pump inside the tank itself and have it push a line out the 2" hole and just seal that up so there's just a hose running out instead of a 2" --> 3/4" reducer.
  4. What else do I need to be thinking about that I have no idea of?
We have a pump that pumps water out of out well into a pressurized water tank. When a hydrant is open the water pressure is better than that of town water. Don't know if that helps.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So then you need a pressure safety valve, because THIS

LoL all the ads on the website are selling me pumps now.
So is mine....

On pressurized tank, no as your relief is the outlet plus you set your air compressor at whatever pressure you want.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love the idea of an air pump pressurizing the tank, since it's so different from my original plan. It's hilarious and full of comedic potential

I also love that you're all getting water pump ads now :D

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It gets interesting filling the tank, when the tanks gets half full or down to a quarter but to refill it you bring in a non compressible liquid at maybe 50 psi? So the water starts filling up to the 50psi? I guess you leave space for compression with a float switch of some sort?

Latest posts