Need Help--avacado seed

JudyMcKinn

Sprout
Reaction score
Well, I stuck an avacado seed on toothpicks, balanced in a glass of water. I now have roots 5 inches long, to the bottom of the glass, and one long plant out the top, about 7 inches tall from the seed up.
What now? Plant in dirt, I suppose. Maybe I have waited too long. Do I need fertilizer? Mix sand in the dirt so it is looser? Help, someone, please. :(

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found this info here that might help. There used to be a restaurant nearby that had this huge, sprawling tree in front of the window...turned out it was an avocado they had grown from seed. I wish I had asked how long they had it. Sorry, I can't tell you more.

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My ex MIL grew one from seed. everyone told her that ones grown from a seed don't produce fruit. She didn't care, she said that hers might. She had it growing in water fro several years in the house. Shw finally planted it. A couple of years later that thing was producing so much fruit no one could believe it! I don't know if any of this helped or not.
Monica

2 Beauts

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We just started one here too. We planted ours in some potting soil about 2 weeks ago. It's taken off like gang busters.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow just about any seed or pit I get my hands on, and my theory is: It will work, or it won't. Often it does, much to the detriment of my yard! :D

I've just always used potting soil to start.

Let us know how it's doing! :)

That's great, Cknmom! :)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What type of weather does it take for one to be outside? I REALLY don't like them but I think my boy would like to watch it grow in the glass. If we went to that trouble we would have to put it in the ground when we were done.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They wont grow in your (and my) zone5 outside year round, so I have mine in pots as house plants and move them in and out with the weather. Mine are never gonna produce, because container avacados usually don't, but they make a wonderful house plant...uh...tree!
I have grown them both freestyle and pinching the tip every 6 inches of growth the 1st year. The pinching method makes for a better house plant ofcourse.
Have fun!

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, I've heard they take forever to start producing. My friend at work has a tree in her yard and she doesn't even like avocados. Works well for us, we trade them for eggs! :D

Just now I was thinking about how it is a very interesting fruit. Such a unique texture and taste. When I'm eating it in guacamole or in salads I never even think of it as a fruit because it is so unique and seems more "substantial" than most fruit.

Too bad I'm not at all patient... they really do grow so easily from a seed and we really do love to eat them.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my avacado seed :p

advacado%20tree%20Small%20800.jpg

It's in a tiny little pot. As soon as it's root was about 2 inches long I stuffed it in the dirt. That was about 2 months ago.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awww, very purty! :) I guess growing up sprouting them, you just become fond of the little guys.

It's looking good, and I hope it continues to thrive! :coolsun

Latest posts