Need Help in Texas!

ksacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The house is in Atascosa County, I did look up the soil survey, this is what it said: The
Christine, Jourdanton, Papalote, Poteet, and Sinton soils are deep, nearly level,
loamy soils in and along drainageways.

On about 3/4 of the property there is good healthy native grass cover, locust trees, mesquite, and a few Live Oak trees . The other 1/4 is high percentage sand and pretty sparse.

Our offer was accepted, so it looks like we are moving to Poteet, with or without the trees :)

The guy that said that has no vested interest in my buying topsoil. He was telling me that I should not move to Poteet.

Thanks for the help ya'll. If you can think of anything else, let me know!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moving from northeast Texas to south Texas......don't know where you have lived before, but check into hurricane readiness. You will be close enough to get whalloped if one comes in. Mesquite.....MontyJ will be hitting you up for some bar-b-cue wood! :lol: Sounds like there should be no reason why fruit trees won't grow. Plant some of those Texas tough pears and figs. :tools

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mesquite? Heck yes! You know KS, if you get on 16 and head south you will go through Freer, then Hebbronville and eventually end up in my old hometown of Zapata. That's the route we used to take to go to San Antonio.

Heck Bay, she's just moving across town...if the Live Oak she lives in now is the Live Oak just N/E of SA. I always considered anything south of Austin to be S. Texas, N. or Austin, but S. of DFW to be central Texas, and Amarillo to be darn near yankees :lol:

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sorry to get into this discussion so late. Poteet is famous for raising strawberries. Not that I have a lot of experience with fruit trees, but I'd say that bodes well for you plan to grow fruit trees. :idunno

ksacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, we did not end up with that house. The inspection did not go well (electrical problems, termite damage, etc) so we had to pass. Now it seems we might be moving to another state. No idea, but that's the military. lol

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, sometimes things that you think ought to go your way just doesn't for some reason or another. Then later, it seems that it all turns out for the best anyway. Be sure to let us know where you go!

Latest posts