Need help on bread

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We do the same....freeze all but what we are using. During the hottest and muggiest part of summer, we'll even keep the unfrozen bread in the fridge. Then, slice and pop into the toaster and you've got warm homemade bread, ready for sandwiches or butter.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought my bread machine at a yardsale for about $8 if I remember right. My family can eat a loaf everyday and would probably eat two (or more) if I would bake more. I find that if I make bread then everyone eats much less junk food. I buy bread on sale or from Sam's Club Warehouse. This is where I buy my yeast too. The 20 pound bag of flour will last a month (or two) and the yeast will last at least a year in the freezer. I like to keep sourdough starter in the refrigerator. I also make biscuits, cornbread, dinner rolls, flat bread, pizza crust, dumplings, pancakes, and cinnamon rolls. It saves a lot of money to make your own bread. The good breads are too expensive to buy and the cheap loaves are hardly worth the price. I will buy day old French and Italian bread from Walmart Super Store for 50 cents per loaf which is about the same price as my homemade bread. I buy a few loaves to keep in the freezer. I use them to make overnight French toast or for garlic bread. Like the other post said you can thaw in the microwave if your in a hurry.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Next snowstorm try making bread from scratch. The only thing you really need is time to let it rise twice. It is really easy. Choose a high quality flour like King Arthur or Lilly and just try the basic bread recipe first: yeast + sugar/honey, 1 cup water, 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons butter/shortening, 5-6 cups flour. You can put some water in a baking dish underneath when you bake to create a good crust...or not. I happen to like it better made from scratch, but that's just me. :D

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love homemade bread and prefer it to store bought..but, my boys don't like it for sandwiches:rant

I use a Amish bread recipe that is delish:loveI also make hamburger, hotdog, sub/italian rolls and Kaiser rolls from scratch.

Thanks Beekissed for the tip:clap.. I will let it rise a couple times like you said and see if I have better results.

Latest posts