Need help with converting my summer beds into a winter greenhouse!?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, my husband is convinced I can simply update my now garden with raised beds into a full size, totally winter functioning greenhouse and he is determined!

He asked me to come here and get some advice... like on materials... size... type of plastic and such so we can easily pull everything down to have a normal garden come spring when things heat up.

Here is what we are talking about.

garden1.jpg

This is my garden now with empty beds. The gate I think will be the trickiest part. And don't I need some kind of air flow even in winter? Or should it be completely sealed?

The large fence posts are hollow aluminium, maybe pulling something like tubes in them would hold it up?

So what should I do. I will take all the advice I can get! Hubby wants to start this in October.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen row covers done with 1/2" PVC pipe and thick, clear plastic. You hammer pieces of rebar into the soil and fit the PVC onto it to make an arc, then cover with the plastic. You might be able to do the PVC fitted onto your fencing. Weight down the edges of the plastic with mulch or rocks (you can close either end of the row and weight down too, or open for ventilation on warmer days.

I've seen it used to extend the season and as mild as the winter is where I am, it would probably make some of the cold weather veggies go clear through winter. I don't know, depending on how cold it is where you are or what you are wanting to raise how it might work. Some things will not tolerate a short day length, even if you can get it warm enough.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my gosh YES!!!!

I so want to come help! I really do.

This would be sooooo easy if you use a flexible PVC piping. Simply insert into the top of the fence and arc it over to the other side. Of course you would have to determine the arc and the length of PVC but that is all just "working it out". I say go buy two lengths of 10 or 12 feet with a female to male coupling between them; probably 3/4 inch to 1 inch depending on the inside diameter needed to insert over the fence spikes.

After several arc supports across whichever direction you prefer (from the looks of it your garden is wider on one side and would be a nice big arc from side to side [widest]). Then simply take a drill and drill through each arc at measured, marked spots and attach a cross beam made out of more PVC or a smaller stock of 1/2 x 1 wood (I think this is like .98 cents a length of 6ft.) This will make it all sturdy.

Additional supports would need to be worked in based on any 'play'.

Then use a heavy mil plastic. If you are going to use this over several seasons I would look into something thicker than what is sold in the home improvement stores. Several places online have thick heavy gauge plastic for good pricing.

The plastic can be placed right over your existing fence and PVC framework and then secured with button ties (homemade I suppose) with a piece of duct tape or aluminum tape for strength and resistance to tearing through. The seams between each sheet of plastic can be fastened with the aluminum tape as well.

A button tie can be made with a those tin/aluminum disks used with roofing nails to hold down sheets of roofing paper. Simply make two holes in the center and then thread these with either nylon/sinew/or wire, then tie on the inside of the structure. Then cover the button with a piece of aluminum tape to make it adhere and not allow the plastic to pull and rip away.

It is wise to have a cross flow of air on the hottest days (best to measure inside temps). One being the doorway and the other the backside of the enclosure like a prop-up window of sorts; something you can close and prevent cold air from entering. On those hot days simply walk out there open the door and also the prop-up window; place it high so this can allow for any overheated air to escape.

Of course be sure and put something to sit on in there with a little table, because there will be those times that you will find sitting amongst the humid air of the plants with a nice book in the winter is a wonderful feeling.

If you feel that you might have very low low temps you could put a 55 gallon drum and fill it with water. The water will take on the daytime temperatures and through the night it will expel this warmth (or warmer than the night air) and keep things from freezing.

Or during those late night freezes simply string out an extension cord and hang a ShopLight in there. You will be surprised how a 40-60 watt bulb will really heat up an enclosed space.

...OK, I got my bags packed, here I come :p

I have a feeling this is temporary until Spring and then you will recreate your open garden again. I would say that with the right ingenuity this can be made to come down with just as much ease.

I cannot wait to see pictures of what you decide to do.

Ron

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is what I kind of had in mind also, to extend the garden season by covering them. I'm sure with your location in NC it could be easliy done not to say you wont have frost but not as severe as places like Maine for example.
What kind of crops were you looking to grow in there?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome ideas!!!

I talked with hubby, and I don't want to spend the $$$ right now, not a good time for us... so... I have row covers and I plan on using those to get through the winter with. I'll only being doing some greens and carrots out there... that should be enough I guess.

I am planning on putting out onions... should I cover those too, or will they be fine?!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would think onions would be fine out in the elements. Your zone is similar to mine and we can overwinter carrots, onions, and greens just fine most years. Greens can be tempermental if it gets really cold though. I don't think you would even need row covers, although you may want them during more extreme weather.

Latest posts