Need info on plant screening?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not sure what they are called but I need some sort of covers to protect my strawberries from turkeys, chickens, rabbits what ever.
I have seen discussion on covering crops to protect them from being eaten by who knows what!!! I have trouble every year with loss of strawberries to varmints.
If you know where these can be purchased let me know.

THANX RICH

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
How big an area are you wanting to cover?

I took a couple of 8 foot long 2x4s and ripped them so I had a strip maybe 3/4 thick then cut them in a 3 length and a 5 lengths. I put them together so I had a frame 3 wide and 5-3 long and covered that frame with chicken wire. I held the chicken wire in place by putting that strip back on top.

Hope that made sense.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That made sense, but I want something I can turn back with ease in order to pick ripe fruit.
Also each row is about 25' long but there are 8 rows.

THANX RICH

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
With turkeys and chickens being as determined as they are, you'll probably want to use chicken wire. How wide are your rows? To keep the deer out of my blueberries, I'm using electrical metal conduit pipe bent into hoops and covered with some salvaged 6' width 1" netting chicken wire (2 widths, to cover the height of my berry bushes). If you hammer 18" rebar into the soil and mount the ends of the conduit over them, it is very sturdy and looks tidy and makes a nice frame for the chicken wire. Might cost you a bit upfront, but it will last a long time. For strawberries, you would probably only need one width of the chicken wire to cover them.

Other than welded wire, I don't know what else would stand up to a determined chicken. :p

ETA: I set my hoops about 5' apart.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Farmtek has various types of netting, Rich.

Included are both wire and plastic.

. . . and, electric. (link)

Steve

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
11 I don't think it will take much to keep turkeys and chickens out, but any wire will be hard to deal with when picking, which is just about daily when they ripen.
digits The link had some plastic netting that looks ok if I can find it locally.

THANX RICH

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I stopped by a farm supply store today and found some bird netting. Reading the pkg it looks like it may do the trick, except it's only 14' X 14'. I'll try and cut it into 4 strips a little over 3' wide and set some stakes every so often and drape the netting over the stakes. Then hold down the edge with some metal hooks.
It's worth a try!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts