Need Kale recipes

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I haven't tried it with turkey bacon, but sure that would do it. But, no meat would also be great. I sometimes toast the pecans before I add them, this would give the crunch of the bacon without the animal fat.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ninnymary, I think it all depends on what type of sausage you are using as to the spice it has too. We have a man who makes homemade sausage here that has a kick to it so it always is spiced up but I notice store bought ones just don't have the spices this man puts into his. But its a good basic soup and then you can tweak to your heat/spice level. Also once it sits overnight it develops more flavor.

Teka I'm gonna try that salad for sure.

SO LUCKY, I'm in zone 6 (central Kentucky) and last year I planted a fall crop of kale, put PVC in the ground making a hoop and put plastic over it before the freezes came on. I could go out and harvest all winter and this spring it started growing again and got HUGE before it started bolting, I supplied everyone with kale. LOL

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We cant grow kale in the winter here so Im wondering if it freezes well enough to make these soup recipies?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use a chopped kale leaf sometimes when I make soup but other than that I prefer to turn it into rabbit meat. The rabbits love them, especially the crunchy stems. Kale and collard leaves are especially good for nursing mothers. Lots of calcium if you have good ground.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know Marshall, there is one of those where you might use your hullless oats.

That's the Simple Farro & Bean Stew Recipe. It should work especially well for me since I've got both Scotch & Portuguese kale . . . and, it is coming on soup season here! I still have some oat seed, too :p.

Another is the Giant Chipotle White Beans Recipe. You have the beans and, maybe, peppers for that one. The recipe specifically suggests chard.

I've gotta get into my soup making! My garden is beyond the salad and nearly beyond the stir-fry seasons.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right now my Jalapenos on the other Pepper plant are definitely reddening up. loaded with them. Yep, I'm studying those recipes! I'll probably make some changes, and a gal is coming up for a visit soon who can cook real good, a friend's girlfriend. I sure wish she had a twin sister!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a recipe I found in Fit Pregnancy magazine the other day... Sounds really good, so I'm making it for Christmas Eve dinner (since I have all this kale running out my ears!)

Kale Strata

2 tbsp olive oil
1 lg. diced shallot
6 c. fresh kale, torn into pieces
1/4 tsp salt
10 eggs
2 c. 2% milk
1/4 tsp pepper
4 c. sour dough bread, torn into pieces
1 1/2 c. shredded Gruyere cheese, divided

Saute shallot in olive oil for 2 minutes, add kale and continue to saute until tender.
Wisk together salt, pepper, milk and eggs in a separate bowl.
Spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray or lightly grease.
Toss together kale, bread and 1 c. of the cheese in baking dish.
Pour egg mixture over this and top with remaining cheese.
Cover dish with foil and let sit in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or overnight for bread to soak.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.

(If you can't find Gruyere cheese, I have seen Monterey Jack suggested as a substitute for it in other recipes.)

Latest posts