need perennial, non-toxic, evergreen, vine suggestions

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am going to plant a vine to cover the end of my chicken run to give them some shade. I would prefer an evergreen. MUST be non-toxic to my hens, but also if it has any edible parts that would be a bonus.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
mener6896 said:
I am going to plant a vine to cover the end of my chicken run to give them some shade. I would prefer an evergreen. MUST be non-toxic to my hens, but also if it has any edible parts that would be a bonus.
Have you considered using some sort of sprawling bush? Perhaps one that could be espailered?
If you prefer a vine perhaps grape would be good. It would shade them in the Summer but let some sunlight through in the Winter.

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just a thought, why not plant some runner beans on the outside of the pen. Will give you some food, shade for the chicks and also food for the chicks from the bits that grow through the fence.

Now I know this wont be evergreen, but just a thought.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are good ideas, We have some viginia creepers and were thinking of transplanting some around our chicken run for the same reason. We are not sure if they are toxic or not.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Unfortunatly Virginia creeper is toxic. Not violently so but not good for chickens.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use grape vine along the duck pen. Not an evergreen, but you want more light in the pen in winter anyway.

I have a concord grape vine on one side and a red seedless on the other side. Whatever grapes we don't use, we sell at a farmer's market. Didn't get many seedless grapes this year since we trimmed the vine back last year. Next year we should get a ton. LOTS of new growth this season.

We did get a harvest of concord. Since I didn't feel like making jelly, I just sold the grapes.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love my confederate Jasimine Vines.
They smell gorgeous and get pretty big here. I don't know if they will make it in indiana

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so glad I didn't plant the creeper, I was gonna do it next week.
Mener do not plant creeper whatever you do, LOL.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tons of Virginia Creeper grows in my chicken yard. It was there before the chickens and if you know creeper, there is no way to kill it all without a nuclear blast. My birds do not touch it- they do however, enjoy the japanese beetles it attracts. I wouldn't plant it on purpose, but it does not seem to be hurting my birds....
I planted a lot of lilac bushes as seedlings in my chicken yard- fearing the worst. The chickens did not touch them as seedlings and don't bother them at all now!

Latest posts