Need shade-loving prolific vines to surround chicken run

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Can they re-seed themselves? Trying to avoid buying seeds every year.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure morning glory seeds are poisonous. And since they are black, the chickens might think they are bugs.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do reseed themselves very nicely. They are a member of the nightshade family... so they are on the bad list too. Since they will be growing on the non-chicken side of the fence, I would do it- but it is your call.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Morning Glories do reseed. They are in alot of areas in my yard. Never bothered the chickens, nor have the seeds bothered them. :happy_flower

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Five leaf Akebia (chocolate vine) sounds like it might be too invasive for me although I LOVE anything that has to do with chocolate! Silver Lace vine sounds beautiful but needs partial to full sun ... won't get enough where I'm planning. The Porcelain vine sounds very invasive too. Upon further research, trumpet vines can cause skin irritation and since I already have cracked skin due to soaps, lotions, etc... I need something less irritating. Dagnabit ... I really LOVE them and love the hummingbirds they attract.

What I read about morning glories says they CREATE shade so they might not do well in this spot where they won't get more than about an hour of sun during the height of summer. But good suggestion .. I think I'll put them somewhere else!

What about English Ivy? I understand it does well almost anywhere, climbs quickly, frost/freezing tolerant, has berries that birds love (so if they drop off into the run they won't kill the chickens), fast growing, drought tolerant, and loves to be ignored. Sounds perfect, if this is all true. Anybody grow this?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think the ivy would be an excellent choice. We have had the English Ivy growing in various places around here for many years. The only time we have to do anything at all with it is when it grows into places we do not want it. We have some in the full sun and we have some in total shade and both do very well. It's a little invasive in the springtime but that's how it spreads. Very care free.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know if "hummingbird vine" is poisonous to chickens? I can't think of the botanical name; it's that dark green ferny-leaved vine with the tiny tubular red flowers. Very fast grower, annual, sun or part shade. You see it growing up (and covering) mail boxes in this area frequently. I'm thinking that if I grow an annual, it needs to be possible to clean it off the fencing in the winter, to avoid issues with my OCD husband.:/

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you thinking of trumpet vine?? I have it growing on my chicken fence. You can forget getting it off the fence, once it is a mature plant. Tell Dh it adds winter interest to the garden!;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Does anyone know if "hummingbird vine" is poisonous to chickens? I can't think of the botanical name; it's that dark green ferny-leaved vine with the tiny tubular red flowers. Very fast grower, annual, sun or part shade. You see it growing up (and covering) mail boxes in this area frequently. I'm thinking that if I grow an annual, it needs to be possible to clean it off the fencing in the winter, to avoid issues with my OCD husband.:/
"Hummingbird " vine is also known as Cardinal vine, Cypress creeper ( or vine ) and Trumpet vine, which is a totally different critter than
TRUMPET vine (campis radicans) the big perennial.
It's botanically in the morning glory family, Ipomea quamoclit is it's dressy name. It requires sun to bloom, just like morning glories.