Need shade-loving prolific vines to surround chicken run

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A Note of caution. Regardless what type of vine you choose be certain to keep it OFF the house. Vines are very intrusive. I have seen them grow under siding (even wood siding) and dislodge it and grow right into window frames and destroy the weather stripping. They can push their way right past a window frame and into the house. Also... The tendrills, as they attach to the siding (especially vinyl) when removed will will leave a woody residue that is almost impossible to clean off. Just a little heads up. Rich

gardendufus

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just a question here. I like the thought of vines on my run fence (providing shade, etc), but doesn't that decrease the predator 'proofness' of the fencing?

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
gardendufus said:
Just a question here. I like the thought of vines on my run fence (providing shade, etc), but doesn't that decrease the predator 'proofness' of the fencing?
Why? I plant stuff for my chickens to hide in...or do you mean it might draw rats or something? :idunno

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
peteyfoozer said:
gardendufus said:
Why? I plant stuff for my chickens to hide in...or do you mean it might draw rats or something? :idunno
Maybe it makes it easier for some critters to climb. ??

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My run has a top on it. Most critters that want in, will be able to dig under or climb without the aid of a vine, I would think. We have a whole roster of predators here, so the only thing that really keeps my chickens safe is my Maremmas!

Latest posts